Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #11 
Aus

Nice on the snails!

I've read that the Miracle Gro always caused Walstad some algae issues, but she didn't overly care or something.. I've read lots of good things about it, though.

Plain old topsoil would do, if it hasn't got added ferts or water beads, etc..

Your wisteria will send out roots off every dropped leaf, so don't fish them out. They'll develop tiny roots and you'll soon have a whole new plant. I broke one of my floating stems in three. Now I have three plants. =P It's brilliant stuff and the bettas just love it. Get more wisteria!

Hornwort discourages algae, eats ammonia and floats as well as likes being in the substrate.

Some other ones that are generally easy to find are hygrophilia and anacharis.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #12 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Nice on the snails!

I've read that the Miracle Gro always caused Walstad some algae issues, but she didn't overly care or something.. I've read lots of good things about it, though.

Plain old topsoil would do, if it hasn't got added ferts or water beads, etc..

Your wisteria will send out roots off every dropped leaf, so don't fish them out. They'll develop tiny roots and you'll soon have a whole new plant. I broke one of my floating stems in three. Now I have three plants. =P It's brilliant stuff and the bettas just love it. Get more wisteria!

Hornwort discourages algae, eats ammonia and floats as well as likes being in the substrate.

Some other ones that are generally easy to find are hygrophilia and anacharis.
I have never seen hygrophilia and have only seen anacharis once : (

So I as of now, I have:
- 2 moss balls ( just for looks really),
-about 4 of the wavy sword plants, ( these have been growing liek mad , started with just 2 little plants. They grow new leaves a few times a week. ( one of these is only about an inch tall)
-6-7 of the mystery red plant ( I will grab a photo as soon as I can) These have been growing like mad ( I am actually in need of a trim)
-1 bigger, amazon like sword
-5-6 pieces of wisteria, all planted in the substrate, I have some tall ones, that I am thinking of cutting in half to propogate since it is too tall for my tank.
-6-7 corkscrew vals. probably gonna grab more.. since they are so cheap ;)
- 3 tall Cabomba strands, all of which have recently sent out shooters off the bottom, each of the shooters being about 2-3 inches tall. Getting good growth with these too.
-2 'bunches' of java fern, but they are all separate leaves and such, that I will attach to my driftwood
-a few hand fulls of duck weed ( that the pet store employee happily gave to me for free. Goes to show what asking nicely will do
- And I bought a bunch of red plant, that I thought was the same as what I have, but it turns out it isnt. I will actually go grab a photo of that right now to show you guys.

Here is the newest red plant: there are no roots , but a few strands had some growing onto it, I'll give it time and the roots shoud develope on all of them

And here is my other red plant: Excuse theblue green algae infestation. I need to scrap it off all my plants,soon.

What do you guys think?

I ill walk over to the dollar store to inspect the top soil there and if it has no ingredient list or has bad stuff in it, I will go try to find the organic stuff. I will also stop at petsmart to check their bulb selection. I think they have 8000 ish, for reasonable price. Would the 8000 one be better than the 4100 one? I believe they have the 5000 .. but I really cant afford the 20dollars for that one
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #13 
Cinderwolf

okay so I went over to the dollar store and snapped a few photos of their variety of potting mix. One bag had no ingredient list, so I snapped a photo of the bag, incase anyone has seen it.

And tey had a second bag with this listed on the back ( sorry it is sideways)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #14 
Aus

Perlite.. peat moss.. you don't want those. Perlite floats like styrofoam, and peat moss can mess with your ph (some people like to use it, but as a beginner, I'm avoiding it for now).

I can't see much about the other one - maybe google the brand..

If you're not planning on livestock for the tank right away, you could probably break some of your stems into bits with roots on and plant those all over the tank, as thickly as possible. You might have to wait an extra few weeks for them to start really thriving, but you'd have a tank full of plants.

I'd say the 8000 would be better than the lower one, especially if you've had plants growing under high light.. but best check with the experienced folks on that one.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #15 
Cinderwolf

Well, i went out and bought the organic miracle gro soil and a 4200 bulb( a cheap hardware store one, highest I could find without having to play big bucks ( for the 8000 was not cheap) . I read a tutorial from Diane Walstad, and she said cool white is the temp she uses , so that's what I went with. . So I set to work settign it up!

It was fun, and frustrating but I am happy with how it looks now. Kinda wish I had moved the drift wood a bit more in the center, but cest la vie.

still murky, but I will drain it half tomorrow and refill, plus I need to replant some of the plants that decided they want to float. I posted an add on craiglist for more plants but no luck yet. With the driftwood taking up most of the space( didn't put substrate under it) I think I have about 75 percent covered in the rooted plants, but perhaps a it less.

The duck weed makes the whole tank glow green, it looks very nice :) I will fiddle with it for a while I know, but for my first attempt,I think it looks nice.