Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 
Fish King

Question Need some help, please

Hi, I've recently noticed a brown algea (slimey, cloudy and stringy) on some plants and props in my tank. It seems to be killing the plants that it is on. There is also a tiny clump of what seems to look like white eggs. Kind of look like tiny styrofoam balls. Worried my beta, killer, could become ill. Any ideas of what it is and what I can do to get rid off it.

I didn't notice it yesterday. It's seems to have flourished very fast. I recently added two small tropical fish. Maybe two weeks ago.

Thanks!
Fish King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

We need some more info and a pic....

Do you know what kind of algae, what size is the tank, how long has it been setup, type of filter and filter media care, substrate/how deep, number and species of plants, any ferts used, type of lights, age of bulbs, watts, kelvin, photoperiod, type of partition between lights and water, how much and how often are the water changes, type of additives used, water temp, number and species of livestock in the tank.....
Do you have any water pram numbers for both your source water and tank water....ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH/GH
What is the source water...

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-25-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #3 
Fish King

Hi,

I have no idea. A rookie I would seem to be, but it is brown and growing close to where the lights are on the tank.

I've attached three pics. You can see the brown colour on the fake ruins. It is also on a couple of plants. In one of the close up pics you can kind of see the white egg type things off in the left hand corner and the third pic is the tank and lighting system.

Note: they (white egg things) are gone as of a day later (today)...

Not sure the size of the tank. This was the girlfriends thing and she's gone for a few weeks. Of course things go weird when she's gone! I'd guess two feet by one and a foot high.

The tank has been going since March-ish. But we've been adding fish every now and again. A couple have died... This is how Killer got his name! lol But, currently there are four fish including the beta and one minature frog.

My girlfirend should be doing this as she's the one who started all this and I didn't pay a lot of attention to what type of plants, etc. I know the lights are suppose to be good for the plants so I assume they are not tungsten bulbs. I cleaned the tank recently and put a half cap full of a tap water conditioner. I know a test was done about three or four weeks ago and all the levels where fine. We have a home kit.

Any help would be cool. Sorry for the lack of info on my part. The Fish King loves fish, but appearently knows @%$*&!!! about them!

Read somewhere to wash off what has the brown mold or algea and change the water. Up to 50%. Might just remove the plants that have the brown stuff on them. But, again, any help would be awesome!
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Are you sure about the size-24inx12inx12in....this will calculate to over 14gal
Use this...http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

Anyway....looks/sounds like diatoms and since the tank is near 4 months old...I suspect it is due to either-not enough water changes or old light bulbs or wrong kelvin or wrong photoeriod....How old are the bulbs, kelvin, watts and how long are the lights on a day....

Right now-I would leave the plants-wipe off the diatoms and vacuum them out with the weekly water changes....

Any snails in the tank...the white eggs are they in a gel like sac...if so most likely snail eggs-but knowing what species of fish would help know if it was fish eggs....

Once the GF gets back-have her post and we can go over proper care and stocking to maintain the system....Until then...see if you can figure out any info on the light bulbs....

Love that tank style by the way...rimless looks sharp....
Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #5 
Fish King

I found a tape measure. 17" x 10" x 9" The tank was bought new in Feb. So, less than six months old. The top lists the bulbs as two 10w, Max. 12v, GU-4 Shielded. If that helps.

The lights are on anywhere from 6 to 12 hours. I have accidently left them on over night once or thrice.

Beta and two Danio. Can't find the reciept for the other fish, but it's small with some blue and red. I know that is of NO help. lol The frog, I believe, is a S. African minature. Could be wrong on that one. No snails or anything else... that I'm aware of.

The egg type bundle looked soft with maybe three or four sacks attached together. Again, they are gone today.

When she gets back I will get her to figure this all out! lol Seriously can't wait!

Thanks for your help, oldfishlady. Killer has become a fixture here and I would hate for anything bad to happen to him. I like the tank too, thanks!

I will heed your advice and wipe down what I can and do a water change today.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Don't have a clue on the lights either....other than you have about 3.3wpg-no info that I understand on the color temp of the bulb and that is what is important for photosynthesis.......but the lights are not on long enough....at least 10h/day with live plants and this should help with the diatoms.....

Since this is only a little over 6gal....not big enough for other species of fish along with the Betta...not enough swimming space-especially for Danios and plus you need at least 5 of them with 20gal long being the smallest tank for a proper school....

Don't have a clue on the frog...never had one...laffs....cute though...I do know you have 2 types one is good and one is not and will eat the fish.... clawed frog I think is what it is called.....