Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #1 
teeneythebetta

What happened to my bettas? Why'd they die!

On wednesday I got a female Betta at petsmart- she had stress stripes, brought her home & put her in a 1 gallon QT tank stays at room temp 72 degrees (temporary for QT, sorority is in a big heated)
Well on Friday I woke up and she was floating weirdly. She didt eat anybof the food I gave her since I got her and she floating for awhile, then swam to the bottom and died.

So I went to petsmart and got another female. I had a bad feeling at first, but I ignored it and got the last female left- one identical to the first and without a doubt from the same shipment. I brought her home & put her in a separate 1 G tank (the tank itself and everything in the same NEVER came in contact with previous fish) then I went to check on her and she was on the gravel, dead and her color had faded. She went from a light red to a mostly dark creamy color with red fins.

What could've been wrong with them? Was it illness/disease? Genetic?? Idk! They were both slightly bloated.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

Likely they were sick when you brought them home. It's not unusual for fish not to eat the first few days after you bring them home so I don't think that's a factor.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #3 
Aus

+1^

Weak, sick fish. Did you acclimate them carefully? If not, shock could have been a factor. My bet is they had some bacterial issue or something to begin with.

I have had two sickly boys from the same store. Same runtiness and slow decline, same fin issues, same neverending QT tank treatments.

Two other fish I got from there are fine in every way and both quite big. I'm guessing the two always-sick boys came from the same place/shoddy breeder/shipment..

No more lousy-pet-store bettas for me (and I mean it this time!). Wilds and the occasional splendens from a better store... save myself a lot of heartache.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

The ammonia in their cup was probably high as well. When I know the fish has bad ammonia as evident by ammonia burns, fins floating in the cup, ect (guy in avatar is one of them) - I use a syringe to take out the old and add in the new. I do this more way more slowly then I normally aclimate fish, like after a WC. A sudden change in water chemistry is not any better for them then a sudden change in temp.

It is very possible they were sick when you got them from the store
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Thanks everyone.
They floated to get used to the temperature for 45 mins. So did my other Betta that came from the same shipment; but she is healthy and well thankfully.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #6 
Aus

Not saying you did anything wrong.. but it's a good idea to add a little new water the old every 5-10 minutes to get them used to the new chemistry as well as temp.

It probably won't shock a healthy fish too much, but if they're sickly, it wouldn't help.

Sorry you lost both girls, I hope you have a better time with your next fish.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 
Canuck Fins

When I got my first betta, he was sick from the petstore. With my second, I called to find out what day they came in and went the day they got new fish; I picked my guy out from all the shipping triangles floating in a tank. They hadn't even put them into rose bowls yet (store equivalent of cups).
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Not saying you did anything wrong.. but it's a good idea to add a little new water the old every 5-10 minutes to get them used to the new chemistry as well as temp.

It probably won't shock a healthy fish too much, but if they're sickly, it wouldn't help.

Sorry you lost both girls, I hope you have a better time with your next fish.
Thank you. I did what you said with the water and she is happily swimming around. She is also eating which is a good sign.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble with your little girls! I'm with everybody else, it sounds like they were sick to begin with and you didn't stand a chance of keeping them alive. :( At least they got to know love and care for just a little while though, if that's any consolation to you. :( Poor fishies.
I'm so sorry! Positive thoughts coming your way for your current and future betta girls!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble with your little girls! I'm with everybody else, it sounds like they were sick to begin with and you didn't stand a chance of keeping them alive. :( At least they got to know love and care for just a little while though, if that's any consolation to you. :( Poor fishies.
I'm so sorry! Positive thoughts coming your way for your current and future betta girls!
Thank you :)