Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Considering plant, need more info.

I just set up a 3 gallon tank for my betta, and I'm wanting to add some plants. I'd like to add plants for for the aesthetic, and the benefits they add to an aquarium, but I need a little more information.

What kind of plants would live well in a 3 gallon tank? I have a LED light that I keep on when I'm home, but shut off when I'm sleeping or out of the house, and where the tank is it doesn't get much natural light so would the on/off light be a problem for some plants?

Are they hard to take care of? What kind of cleaning if any do I need to do to them? What do I do with them when I do 100% water changes and take out the gravel to clean it?

Are they expensive? I've spend over $100 on the setup/fish/fish equipment & accessories, my boyfriend will kill me if I spend much more.

If there's anything else I should know, please post. My fish does have a little log to hide in, and he seems to be doing fine without the plants, but hey they never hurt, right? Thanks.

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

One of the easiest Aquatic plants is a java fern. They do not need a lot of light, but it doesn't hurt mine having the light on 12 hours a day. They're very inexpensive (petsmart sells them for $3.99) and they grow baby ferns on the ends of the leaves, so it's a plant that gies you more plants. One thing you should know about java ferns is that they can NOT be planted in the substrate. You must tie them with cotton string to a decoration until the root attaches itself.

This is one of the plants I have; it's the only one I know a lot about. I also have amazon swords, anubias, el nino fern and an onion plant- but those are plants I just bought and got lucky with. xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #3 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
One of the easiest Aquatic plants is a java fern. They do not need a lot of light, but it doesn't hurt mine having the light on 12 hours a day. They're very inexpensive (petsmart sells them for $3.99) and they grow baby ferns on the ends of the leaves, so it's a plant that gies you more plants. One thing you should know about java ferns is that they can NOT be planted in the substrate. You must tie them with cotton string to a decoration until the root attaches itself.

This is one of the plants I have; it's the only one I know a lot about. I also have amazon swords, anubias, el nino fern and an onion plant- but those are plants I just bought and got lucky with. xD
So if I got a java fern I would have to tie it to his little log until it could get it's roots in the gravel? Approximately how long does that take?

Another thing, do betta fish eat plants? I know they are meat eaters, but I wasn't sure if they would nibble on plants. Would it help the ammonia levels in the tank?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #4 
laoshun

hornwort is a lovely low light, low tech plant. When it grows you can take it apart and grow it some more. So it is a reusable plant after it grows. As long as there is any type of light it will grow.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #5 
Mo

They won't nibble on plants. I will sell you a perfect sized (softbal sized) amount of assorted plants. Microswords, anacharis, java moss, willow moss, java fern and hornwort for 3.00, + 5.50 shipping, They all are perfect for a beginner at plants as they thrive under neglect and will do completely fine with no fertilizers and low light, if you dnt want to buy them from me, then Petco and petsmart sells about baseball or smaller portions for 3.00
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
So if I got a java fern I would have to tie it to his little log until it could get it's roots in the gravel? Approximately how long does that take?

Another thing, do betta fish eat plants? I know they are meat eaters, but I wasn't sure if they would nibble on plants. Would it help the ammonia levels in the tank?
No it never puts it's roots In the gravel- it'll Rot. What you tie it to will hold it there and as the roots grow, they will grow around the decoration and hold on to it and therefore not letting the plant float away. Whatever you tie it to should have the plant on it forever.

I have no idea how long it takes- I give my plants flourish brand liquid fertilizer and since dosing them they have grown A LOT.

No bettas will not eat the plants. Certain types of snails will eat lie plants, and certain types of snails will eat only dead leaves off of plants. Yes they do absorb some ammonia.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #7 
Mo

Hmm. The do grow in the gravel TTB. The rhizome can't be buried but the roots can
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #8 
gwenny

Java fern is nice, it just needs to be tied down like teeneythebetta mentioned. But it does eventually root into the gravel. Just make sure the rhizome stays above the gravel.

Anubias are similar (can't bury the rhizome) and are easy to grow. They're also short, so they're a good foreground plant.
Amazon swords are nice and easy also and its roots can be buried in the substrate.
Anacharis and Wisteria are also easy and nice looking =]
gwenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #9 
LizzyP

I like the sound of the Java Fern, the only thing I'm worried about is will it not allow him to use his log anymore? He really likes it and I would hate to take it away from him...
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
I like the sound of the Java Fern, the only thing I'm worried about is will it not allow him to use his log anymore? He really likes it and I would hate to take it away from him...
I actually bought something sold at PETco called a "rock garden" and cut the fake plants off & tied the java fern to it.

Go to this link & you will see my review below. I posted a picture of mine with it. http://reviews.petco.com/3554/118878...ws/reviews.htm