Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 
LaLaLeyla

African Dwarf Frogs?

I'm curious about getting an african dwarf frog for my ten gallon betta tank.

The tank it's not filtered I do partial water changes and siphon the gravel once a week.

I just mostly need to learn about them more. Like what the eat ect
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 
thekinetic

Well the gravel might pose a problem as if they eat it it could get stuck in their disgestive tract. They eat anything a caniverous fish eats but love brine shrimp and blood worms, though they do make pellet food for them.

The need a hiding place too and the light needs to go out at night. They're actually pretty hardy creatures and usually do well in betta tanks. But they are suseptable to diseases so watch for lack of appetite and cloudy eyes.

You might want to do some research on Chytridiomycosis.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #3 
shadowpony

*sighs* First, I must say that I'm very tired and irritable. Also, I skimmed, so if I missed something, sorry. ADFs are hard to feed with other fish. They are almost blind, and have a hard time finding their food. They may latch on to a betta's tail. A betta may bite a frog's delicate leg. It's risky business with bettas and ADFs. ADFs are social and need a buddy to come out and play alot. They are ok alone but better with friends.

*edit* thekinetic umm.. ADF/betta tanks are risky. There is about a 50/50 chance that it will work. I think that ADFs are fragile. Without proper care, they simply waste away.

Last edited by shadowpony; 06-24-2012 at 02:03 PM.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

Well I've decided I'm not going to get ADF. I'm just fine with just my betta now.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpony View Post
*sighs* First, I must say that I'm very tired and irritable. Also, I skimmed, so if I missed something, sorry. ADFs are hard to feed with other fish. They are almost blind, and have a hard time finding their food. They may latch on to a betta's tail. A betta may bite a frog's delicate leg. It's risky business with bettas and ADFs. ADFs are social and need a buddy to come out and play alot. They are ok alone but better with friends.

*edit* thekinetic umm.. ADF/betta tanks are risky. There is about a 50/50 chance that it will work. I think that ADFs are fragile. Without proper care, they simply waste away.

I did my research and most of my sources, including a frog forum, said that they do well usually. There are some instances where they will get at each other but thta's the risk in any betta tank with any tank mate.

The food they make for frogs/tadpoles are pellets designed to sink. The frogs are also not blind they just a blind spot in front of them and thus they will usually eat at the bottom by looking off the side of their head. Qhich is why gravel is not recommended, with sand it can easily pass through without issue.

I'll find the link for the forum and post it for any further info.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #6 
thekinetic

Ok here is the link to everything you could want to know on keeping frogs.

But like I said with bettas it's always a gamble, some are passive other aggressive.

But I guess you've already decided so this is a moot point but here it is anyways.

http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id20.html
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 
registereduser

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84033
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote