Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #1 
lyngirl

Exclamation Pectoral Fin Damaged T_T

Greetings everyone @ Bettafish.com

My poor girl is not doing well. She is usually an active Betta who comes to the front of the tank when anyone is near but today she was staying on her leaf near the top of the tank or at the very bottom hiding.

I changed her water immediately and noticed her right pectoral fin is at a 90 degree angle from her body. She can move it a little but the fin stays at 90 degrees. She lays slightly tilted to the left when resting.

She is also going for air more often and overall she seems stressed. I do not see any discoloration or cuts in any of her fins or in her gills.

So far I changed the water completely and checked PH. I replaced with only 75% treated water so my Betta does not have far to swim if she chooses to hide at the bottom. I increased her stress coat by a drop to help keep she calm. This seems to be helping.

I am worried about how to best treat her injury and how long she can go without eating.

I have had this Betta for 4 months now.
She stays in a 1.5 gallon bowl sharing the space with a ceramic rock, live plant and fake leaf sold as a "Betta hammock".
I use bottled spring water with a combination stress coat and water conditioner.
I feed her dried blood worms and her appetite till today has been very high.

Please let me know if you have any ideas as to what might happen to her fin and how I can get her happy and eating again. I will post a picture as soon as I can.
lyngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

Please fill this out so we have more background information...
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #3 
lyngirl

Whoops

Sorry I did not attach the list of questions for those more familiar with the diseases and emergencies form.

Housing
What size is your tank?
1.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank?
approx. 72 degrees F (has been as low as 65)
Does your tank have a filter?
Not at this time
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Dried Blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? around 6 am, 2 pm, and 9 pm every day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? have been doing 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
I use a water conditioner and stress coat combo

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
unknown but at this time low from 100% water change
Nitrite:
N/A
Nitrate:N/A
pH:
Hardness:
N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
right pectoral fin is stuck at a 90 degree angle from body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
increased movement in gills and gulping air/ not eating/ avoiding swimming unless going for air/ very skittish
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Today (6/23) in the afternoon
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Replaced 100% of water with 75% total to reduce travel to top of tank. Increased stress coat slightly and placed a screen by tank to reduce light and surrounding movement.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, will easily over-eat to bloating so I reduce her food and space it throught the day.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
No idea.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

Pics? It could have been injured, but since it is a pectoral fin, I wouldn;t be too concerned. Could it have been injured on the rock or plant? Please post a pic of the whole setup as-well.

EDIT: that is WAY too cold. The betta needs to be at AT LEAST 76 degrees. Also, I would recomend another 2 50% changes through the week, amonia builds up in tiny 1/2 gallons. I have a 2.5 gallon (emergency setup) and change water every other day 50% Stresscoat is really only needed if the fish is sick or has been handles or is stressed. Also, bloodworms are like treats fro bettas, no nutrition at all. Try tetramin tropical crisps, I recomend that, but most pellet foods are ok.

Last edited by Pogthefish; 06-23-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 
cjconcepcion

okay, normally i would say that the tank is too small but since she is a tiny fish she should be fine with increased water changes... two or three times a week 15-25% of the water. bettas love bloodworms, but theyre not very healthy for them, it would be like us eating cookies for every meal. a good staple food that most picky bettas will eat are omega one betta buffet pellets. you can still give her bloodworms, but pellets should be her main diet, flakes are fine too... but none of my bettas have ever showed interest in them and they cloud the water pretty easily. the main thing i recommend is to get a heater. bettas are tropical fish that do require a minimum temperature of 76 degrees, they will survive in cold water, but will certainly not thrive.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #6 
cjconcepcion

also, since she has been used to eating bloodworms, she most likely will not take to pellets for a while, so dont be surprised if she dosent eat for a week or so. i would try to fast her for a day or two to clear her digestive system, and give her a tiny piece of pea with the shell peeled off to act as a laxative.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #7 
lyngirl

Thank you for your speedy reply. I am waiting for my camera to charge.....
To clarify, my bowl is 1 and 1/2 gallon. However it does make a lot more sense to change a little at a time over the week because my Betta stresses when I have to transfer her to a separate container.
I did noticed my Betta darting through the live plant a lot yesterday so I think you are right in assuming she might have snagged it on something.
I would like to thank you for the heads on temp and food as well.
I have to find a good way to heat a large circular bowl Any ideas would be welcomed.
I also wondered about the blood worms. I tried the flakes first for two days when I first got her but she did not go for them at all. Strangely I think it is a texture thing with this one. She won't go for soggy worms either.
Any advice on best pellet brand you know of?
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Pics? It could have been injured, but since it is a pectoral fin, I wouldn;t be too concerned. Could it have been injured on the rock or plant? Please post a pic of the whole setup as-well.

EDIT: that is WAY too cold. The betta needs to be at AT LEAST 76 degrees. Also, I would recomend another 2 50% changes through the week, amonia builds up in tiny 1/2 gallons. I have a 2.5 gallon (emergency setup) and change water every other day 50% Stresscoat is really only needed if the fish is sick or has been handles or is stressed. Also, bloodworms are like treats fro bettas, no nutrition at all. Try tetramin tropical crisps, I recomend that, but most pellet foods are ok.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #8 
cjconcepcion

omega one betta buffet for the pellets
and marina betta mini heater
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #9 
lyngirl

I have heard of treating fish with peas but have never had to put it to use. I will see if she eats tomorrow morning and then go into a switch mode asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjconcepcion View Post
also, since she has been used to eating bloodworms, she most likely will not take to pellets for a while, so dont be surprised if she dosent eat for a week or so. i would try to fast her for a day or two to clear her digestive system, and give her a tiny piece of pea with the shell peeled off to act as a laxative.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #10 
lyngirl

Pics

I am by no means a photographer (reason one why I paint) but I hope you can see her tiny clear fins. Again I do not see any fungus or discoloring on her. She can make the fin move but it is stuck out away from her body.
Attached Images

Tags
damage, injury, pectoral fin