Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #11 
Pogthefish

That plant is java fern, not att all dangerous. I would check for swelling at the base of the fin.

Also, I have never used one, but try an under the gravel heater.

Btw, betta hammocks go about an inch below the surface fo the water, so the betta can rest near the air, always wanted one ;) But often they hve a wire running down them, that it is best to remove.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #12 
lyngirl

Update on my poor Betta

I took some more pictures this evening after I noticed she had a bloody pocket just behind her damaged fin.

She is now in a viewing tank so I can better monitor her. I am planning on changing her water by 25% every day. I also skipped adding the stress coat and just added a couple of pieces of aquarium salt after reading what others have posted about treating wounds. Her new heater is keeping the tank at 78 degrees F.

The swelling has gone down and the spot is not as bad. She is swimming but still really awkward and lethargic.

If she didn't bang herself up what internally could be going on?

As always, thank you so much for your help. This is a really sweet mannered Betta and I want her to live a nice long life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
That plant is java fern, not att all dangerous. I would check for swelling at the base of the fin.

Also, I have never used one, but try an under the gravel heater.

Btw, betta hammocks go about an inch below the surface fo the water, so the betta can rest near the air, always wanted one ;) But often they hve a wire running down them, that it is best to remove.
Attached Images

lyngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #13 
missmayr

Are her scales raised or is it just the lighting? If they are raised, I would be very worried, because that means she has dropsy, which is unfortunately, currently incurable and nearly always fatal.

Otherwise, I agree, the water is WAY too cold. Nearly ever betta will get sick in temperatures that cold and most likely from a fungal infection. My betta was sick and nothing was working, but once I bought him a heating pad, he perked right up and got better!!

Buuuut if he's breathing heavily, I don't think that's the issue. It sounds like the earliest signs of what could develop into a gill infection. What is causing his breathing problems, could it be an ammonia/nitrate problem? If you have a limited selection at your lfs (such as only Petco like me), I would suggest getting Kent Marine Betta Bowl Essential. I read through ALL of the water conditioners, and it's the only one that also treats for ammonia. After I added it in for my bettas emergency he was breathing easier again. If it IS a problem with ammonia/pH/nitrate, I would fix that as rapidly as possible as poisoning tends to progress quickly and can cause lasting damages. I'm still waiting for my betta to get into the safe zone from his own ammonia poisoning. While I am relieved he is no longer fighting with poisoning, I fear how much damage it's already caused. I should know within a week either way.

Don't let your fish get poisoned as bad!! Either way find out if it's poisoning right away, because you have time with bacterial/fungal infections but poisoning is fast acting and can be deadly.

Please get your little guy a heating pad, they're relatively inexpensive for the most basic ones that just raise his temperature ___ degrees. And even if it's not very much, he can lie next to it and get better that way as well. Good luck!
missmayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #14 
lyngirl

Her scales are smooth. She did perk up with the heater installed earlier today but still working her gills.

Thanks for sharing your research. I will switch brands asap.
lyngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #15 
Pogthefish

Oh, by the way, that heater is a popular model, and I jujst wanted to give you a heads up that both of mine broke within a year, and they didn't even heat my 2.5 properly, always 76 degrees... So heads up, you may need a new heater sometime sooner than yo think ;)

Don;t use AQ salt for more that 10 days, it cn cause kidney probs, but look into espom salt.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, injury, pectoral fin