Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #11 
prodrumernate

i just read a reply on another post im in,they stated about the filter being blocked and not allowing benificial bacteria to grow as it should.now i realize i had many contributing factors that caused my fish to die.im sad that 5 of my girls had to die in order for me to learn.but atleast now i know a little more for the next time and can help contribute better..so now im looking a lot more at water quality and not so much ammonia.

thank you Bladezero for correcting me.i feel ashamed
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #12 
Bladezero

Don't feel ashamed and my goal was not correcting you but helping him..
Don't blame yourself either, you can't know everything.. I had a wave of deaths in my community aquarium few weeks ago, still have no idea why.. But atleast I know more about how to diagnose what ever it was so I'll know sooner something is up and start doing something about it..
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well.....

What I would recommend at this point....stop all medications/added products.....too much, over treatment, long term salt and he will get toxic and destroy his kidneys.....

He needs regular water with dechlorinator only......he is lacking the needed minerals.....But you are going to have to do a slow acclimation so not to shock him........

Get some regular tap water with the proper amount of dechlorinator of like temp and start making 25% water changes in the 1gal every 5min for 20 min.
Then make 50% daily starting in 24h and see if this will perk him up....If not, then I would start an Epsom salt and tannin treatment.

It won't hurt to go ahead and add some tannins in the water after you get him acclimated to the new source water....either IAL or if you have any Oak trees near by....use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf....add about 5-6 to his tank,

Nutrition-if you have access to mosquito larva-collect some, rinse and offer several times a day.....

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #14 
missmayr

Thank you for all the advice so far guys!! (I'm still reading through it as I type this).

I am just a smidge worried about a water change since he was doing fine and each time he got sick it was triggered by a water change. I fear if I give him another water change it'll do him in. I think he might've liked the environment Bettafix made. Whatever it did, previous to the water change he was extremely spritely again and starting to spread his fins and even regained a little color.

Currently he is on Tetra Lifeguard, which is a broad spectrum treatment since the guys at Petco said even if it is ammonia poisoning, there's really nothing I can do. If it's bacterial on the other hand, there's treatments. Considering how fast it is, I'm thinking it might be ammonia as well though. I am also wondering if he has an internal parasite as I've also noticed that he has become very thin. Or is it possible we were overcompensating from his previous swimbladder problem by feeding him too little? He definitely doesn't have an external parasite, but I was worried about those from things I've read which is why I stuck with pellet only.

Also, he just got sick yesterday and I just started medication so I think it's better to stay on them a little longer?

He's staying in his plastic bush right now. Not scraping or anything, so I don't think it's an itch, I think he's just there cuz it beats the balancing problems he's been having :(.
missmayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #15 
prodrumernate

Bladezero you are rite..you pointed out somethings i was missing.which made more sense than my assumption.

missmayr i agree with Oldfishlady and even Bladezero said.changing the water..i too did the exact same thing rite before my fish died.except i did a 50% once a day due to the fact i have a filtered tank and didnt want to get rid of all the water and destroy any beneficial bacteria..

i would surly stop all treatments and stick to water changes.if you have a local shop that strictly aquariums and tropical fish.you mite be able to take him there or ask them as well...

i was doing some treatments myself.and i noticed it was really stressing out my girls.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #16 
missmayr

Betta Updates

If I did do a water change (I'm just paranoid since he got sick literally immediately after the water change both times). How would you recommend doing it in his delicate condition so that he doesn't get more stressed/sicker? I really don't want to do anything that might shock him more at the moment.

I think he's getting a smidge better because his fins aren't as clumped anymore. I think he's having vision problems though, because it's taking him longer to aim at his food even when it's right in front of him.

He's no longer on the bottom of the tank. I think that's a good sign because I think I read that with ammonia poisoning first they're by the top and then they go to the bottom and lies sideways. So I think he's out of the high danger zone to the medium danger zone (still dangerous but a little more reassuring).

His breathing has slowed too. Although I'm a bit worried it might be a little too slow now. He has periods of responsiveness and period of lethargy.

I'll attach an updated picture! My phone has a flash so the color is a little bit off, he's not quite as vibrant as the picture makes him appear. Keep in mind the picture was taken right after I fed him, which is partially the reason why he's not quite as sideways as he was (he's at like a 45 degree angle instead of 90 like before)
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #17 
prodrumernate

i would use a gravel vacuum..sucking up any waster and water from the bottom.it wont upset him or anything.as long as u move slowly and not splash water or anything around.and making sure he doesnt get sucked in either..from the picture and what you are saying.he seems to be recovering and healing.now its just making ure to feed him and the water changes.and most importantly time.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Don't remove him or make any larger water change than 50%

Remember that some products can cause false positive ammonia reading.....The products that neutralize ammonia-change the ammonia to ammonium and the test product can't tell the difference.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #19 
missmayr

I don't have a gravel vacuum...He's my only fish :P.

Are there any alternative ways to disrupt him as little as possible?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #20 
missmayr

I just looked it up and gravel vacuums are reasonably priced at Petco!! Can anyone look up the gravel vacuums as well and tell me if they work or are just extensions? I'm a little confused about the description :P.

Thanks!! That could be a great idea so he doesn't get so stressed out during water changes...I'll try to go tomorrow since Petco is closed.