Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #1 
Spazzfish

Lightbulb Lights over heating tank!

Ok so my heater is unplugged, it has been all summer pretty much since its not doing anything (yes, even at night). I switched to some higher watage bulbs so now instead of 3 wats per gallon i now have 5 wats per gallon for my red plants and glosso. But now my tanks just getting too hot! Any suggestions?
My options

I wake up around 7 (i am weird that way) so i was thinking about turning it on then and then off around 10 and back on in the afternoon when its not as hot.)
I have an air pump i am not currently using. I could i place it to where it would blow over the water.
Down grade my bulbs and my poor plants suffer (i dont want to do this but i don't want boild fish!).
I can get diffrent bulbs that stay cooler.(know a good brand?)
my house stays around F75 and i live in texas =F105
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #2 
kfish

What bulbs are you using? I use GE daylight rated (6500K) CFLs and they don't get *too* hot. How big is your tank? Mine is 10g at 4 wpg.

It's actually really good for plants to have that break of darkness in the middle of the day (look up siesta method), because they produce CO2 in the dark. So that break of darkness allows them to create more CO2 to consume the rest of the day, because they've finished all of the CO2 they produced at night by midday. So you could definitely not go wrong having the lights on for 5 hours, off for 4 in the middle of the day (or more, if you need to!), then on for 5 again. That's what I do, starting at 7am. :) Get a timer! It'll make it so much easier, and they're only like $5.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 
Spazzfish

They are aqua culture cheap bulbs but they where given to me. Yes i have a ten gallon. I like the idea of a siesta going to look into it now thanks!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #4 
Aurie

I got a 24 hour light timer from wally world for like $5 and you can have whatever you plug into it turn on and off every half hour if you like, fully functional and I have that on my 10 gallon. On at 9am and off at 7pm
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #5 
Spazzfish

I will be investing in one what is the brand of yours Aurie?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 
Aurie

Ge or Honeywell.. whatever Walmart carries.. pretty common
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote