Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #1 
Aurie

Divided tank filter question

So This is my current setup and my filter is kind of strong on 1 side (too many bubbles) and on the other side (right) the surface ripples in a nice way. My question is how strong should a 10 gallon sponge filter be? Should I make another divider and put it in the middle with the heater? That way both sides are just barely rippling. I make sure when I'm doing water changes to gravel vac the right hand side better than the left because solid waste can't get to the filter.

BTW Nothing I have has "adjuster" screw but I can pick up some twist screws but if I decrease flow, will the filter not work as well?

I'm open to suggestions

Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #2 
prodrumernate

bettas like the very low or no flowing water..i have a powerfilter in my 10 gallon.i put a sponge infront of the exhaust port to slow the water down and keep the water as calm as i could..but i read somewhere that covering it and slowing the flow would cause the beneficial bacteria to not grow..i dont really think that would stop the bacteria from growing.

i personally would have the filter in the middle to split the current and allow a little water flow on both sides evenly.i say its good the filter sucks up some of that waste and to clean the filter off using tank water when you do a water change..i would surly vacuum both sides of the gravel the same.any waste left over can cause too much ammonia build up..

personally thats me.i like to even things out and make it equal.btw i love your setup..i thought about that but went with a betta sorority instead. :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:51 AM   #3 
prodrumernate

oh if you decide not to move the filter in the center.i would get a floating plastic plant or a floating plant to put on the side with the filter so the betta has a place to hide at the top away from the current.and to lounge about at the surface to breathe and eat..i have that in my tank
Old 06-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #4 
Aurie

That's what those betta logs are for, and the plastic mesh tubes that I made.. the betta logs have a hole in the top for feeding.. the betta on the right loves it, the one on the left could care less..

I bought a large sword plant but a friend wanted it so I gave it to him.. we do plant exchange :) so I'm working on getting a tall "whispy" plant that won't over take my tank, and of course I'd need to get 2 LOL
Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #5 
Aurie

*doublepost*
Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #6 
prodrumernate

oh,sorry didnt notice the betta logs.well i didnt pay attention to the fact they are.seen them but didnt think about it :) as long as the water current isnt too strong especially below the logs then i dont seen a need for change really..i would still vacuum out both sides evenly just to be on the safe side and not have to worry about any major ammonia spikes.

looks like you have a great setup.everything they need.the mesh tubes is a great idea..i might have to do something like that for my next setup...you dont mind if i download your pic and save it so i can get an idea on my next setup do you?i like the fact its not over crowded with plants and hiding places.it looks natural.i thought of live plants,but think it might be too much of a hassle.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Try putting a piece of foam or some Java moss on the surface where your bubbles break.

Putting the filter between two dividers really cuts the turbulence.

Cutting the flow will slow the growth of nitrifying bacteria, but with only two Betta, that's not such a big deal. It's in the balance.

Assuming you regularly test you pH, will you tell me what your sponge filter does to your pH values?
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #8 
prodrumernate

im glad you confirmed about cutting the flow of the filter.what i read was correct.and i assume thats why my ammonia sky rocketed and had no nitrates or nitrites.being a major cause of my fish death and i was too late to do anything.i had 5 bettas in a 10 gallon.i learned and now know what to do with my filter..im upset all my girls in the 10 had to die before i learned.luckily i have another girl in a 2 gallon that is as healthy as can be.so i know im doing something rite. :(
Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #9 
Aurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Try putting a piece of foam or some Java moss on the surface where your bubbles break.

Putting the filter between two dividers really cuts the turbulence.

Cutting the flow will slow the growth of nitrifying bacteria, but with only two Betta, that's not such a big deal. It's in the balance.

Assuming you regularly test you pH, will you tell me what your sponge filter does to your pH values?
I went to my LFS today and got a PH kit and an Ammonia kit (I only had dip strips before) and my PH is 7.2 (7.4 out of the tap) and my ammonia was 1 but I did a 50% water change so now it's down to .5 and I'll do another tomorrow night (new tank)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #10 
Aurie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
looks like you have a great setup.everything they need.the mesh tubes is a great idea..i might have to do something like that for my next setup...you dont mind if i download your pic and save it so i can get an idea on my next setup do you?i like the fact its not over crowded with plants and hiding places.it looks natural.i thought of live plants,but think it might be too much of a hassle.
No I don't mind at all =^_^=

I had some extra suction cups (from air line holding kit) and some extra mesh and I just cut out a 3x3 square at all 4 corners with some sissors and stuffed the suction cups through the holes, trust me it wasn't without effort (that's why the one on the right isn't round, it's a hammock) and it works wonders if you use suction cups that have sort of an indent around the spot you'd push with your thumb.. It was a quick job, but meh it works and the fish like them and their betta cubby hole thingies

Today I got a java fern for my other tank and some java moss and i split that in half and put half on the left tank's mesh cubby and I put the whole thing on the back wall so the java moss can attach and grow from that, so the moss cuts down on the bubbles