Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #1 
sholee

Woke up to a NIGHTMARE!

So my 5.5 gallon tank is in the middle of cycling ~ I'm on the end of week two. I go to bed, hoping and praying nitrites will appear soon. In the middle of the night... I wake up to a really loud filter.. I'm thinking.. "Ok.. what the heck is going on??" I turn on the lights and....

there's only about 1 gallon of water in my tank! and the rest of the water was ALL OVER my floor... I rush to make sure the surge protector is not wet or going to get wet. I unplug everything and basically mop my floor with gross ammonia water.

Blah so not only is my cycle ruined but my fish tank is basically broken...

Does anyone know if Petsmart accepts return/exchanges without a receipt? I bought the tank about 2 weeks ago...

I don't know what to do from here because I will be leaving Mid-August for vacation and my cycle should have completed by then.. but now i doubt if i'll be able to even cycle a new tank before I have to leave on my vacation.

I'm totally bummed out :(
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 
lvandert

um I think they have a policy about that but it's only one week. You could get some aquarium sealant and re do all the corners, unless the tank is just broken.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #3 
sholee

bahhh.. the crack is huge... I'm not sure if sealant can fix this.. I don't understand what could have made that big of a crack in the glass.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #4 
lvandert

omg! yeah sealant wont fix that. Did something fall maybe in the middle of the night?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #5 
sholee

nope, nothing fell and i havent touched any of the gravel or decorations since i first put it in. So weird! Anyways, I brought it to petsmart anyways to try my luck to get a return or exchange. The manager remembered me from when i bought it and allowed me to return it. I didn't get another 5 gal tank because I think it would be better for me to come back from my vacation and start a new tank and cycle process. Knowing my luck, if i were to start a new cycle, it wouldn't finish in time before i leave for vacation and my fish sitter (aka boyfriend) would be stuck to finish it for me... which he'll probably not like.

So for now... my betta will have to stay in his 2.5g tank :'(
Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 
lvandert

ahh it'll be ok. He can be upgraded when you get back. Kind of a "hey sorry I left here's a bigger home." lol

Thats good the manager remembered you. I always tend to talk with people that work there and look around in the store for a long enough time that everyone remembers me lol.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Wow that sucks! Thank god you had a filter, or you might've woken to a flopping fish.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

Was the tank on a tilt? If it is tilted that wall could have had more pressure than it was made for on it, and it was a dam ready to break.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Oh no! Sorry to hear your tank broke. Mine did more dramatically... The blinds fell on my 29 and two huge cracks along the side deemed it unworthy of fish ;(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #10 
sholee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Was the tank on a tilt? If it is tilted that wall could have had more pressure than it was made for on it, and it was a dam ready to break.
Hmm maybe that could have been it? I live in a pretty old nyc apartment so the floors arn't even, the tank was on my night stand so it had a slight tilt because of the flooring. Didn't realize that it could cause a crack on it, wows, definitely going to remember this for next time.