Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #1 
bettapop8

Betta Not Eating

I just got my Crowntail Betta fish yesterday at a Pet Supplies "Plus" store. It's a male. I crushed up 2 Aqua Culture Betta Pellets and put them in his tank just a little bit ago. Unlike my other fish, he didn't dart over and start eating. Instead, he just stayed near the plastic plant I have in his tank and just floated there. Should I feed him something else? Why isn't he eating?
bettapop8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #2 
cjconcepcion

hes probably stressed from being moved, i wouldnt worry, i have six bettas, they all started eating at different times after bringing them home, one of them took 2 weeks to even try a pellet, give him a few days. he'll eat if he gets hungry enough
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 
bettapop8

Ok, thanks, cjconcepcion! I was getting worried at first, but you do have a good point...I'm sure it's just stress. But, he also hasn't been swimming around much either. He just stays near the plastic plant I have in his tank. Do you think that's just due to stress and the fact that he is in a new living environment?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I'm going to ask this Question even if you have other Fish. Did you Acclimate him? And yes, he's just probably adjusting. Moving from 1 Place to the other really is stressful.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #5 
bettapop8

Lebron, I did acclimate him to his new tank. I put the bag that he came in from the pet store in the tank to adjust him to the tank water temperature. After 20 minutes, I took my fish out of the bag he came in and put him into the tank.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #6 
LizzyP

One thing I found (before I realized all the betta care) is if they are too cold they become lethargic and don't want to eat. Do you have a heater? If not, you should get one. Betta fish like high 70s to 80 degree water, since they are a tropical fish.

But if you have all that, I'm going to assume it's stress. When I brought Dumbledore home he hid, swam away when I came and looked at him and when he did come out, he just sat on the bottom. Give him a little while to adjust.

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #7 
bettapop8

Ok, thanks, LizzyP. I'll definitely be getting a heater soon. Hopefully, he'll start to relax a little!