Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #1 
Thrifty Bee

Unhappy Betta Terrified of Net.

I have two male battas, a red one and a blue one. Because I lack imagination I call them Red and Blue.

Blue is cool with water changes, he doesnít mind the net or really try to get away from it. But Red hates it, it totally freaks him out. I have to chase him down, and boy is he fast. I tried other things like dipping him out with a clear cup that would get water too but it didnít work, and pouring him out of the tank is even worse on him.

I hate upsetting him so much but his water has to be changed. Will he get used to the net like Blue?
Thrifty Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I have an Idea do he could get used to it. You take the Net, put it in the Aquarium and leave it there. You heard me. Leave it there. After about 15-20 Minutes, you take it out and put it back in to see if he cares. If he cares do the leave it for Minutes thing. And next time after 15-20 Minutes, try to get him if he's used to the Net. The Net could actually damage his Fins or Stress Coat.
It's better to cup him. Here's a Thread that aokashi made about cupping.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=Cupping
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #3 
laoshun

easiest way to catch them is when there is not much water and scoop him out that way.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 
Thrifty Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I have an Idea do he could get used to it. You take the Net, put it in the Aquarium and leave it there. You heard me. Leave it there. After about 15-20 Minutes, you take it out and put it back in to see if he cares. If he cares do the leave it for Minutes thing. And next time after 15-20 Minutes, try to get him if he's used to the Net. The Net could actually damage his Fins or Stress Coat.
It's better to cup him. Here's a Thread that aokashi made about cupping.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=Cupping

Thanks! I actually tried a clear plastic disposable drinking cup, but dummy me chased the poor guy around trying to get him. It never occurred to me to hold it still and see if his curiosity got the best of him.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #5 
LizzyP

Maybe if you can cup him, instead of "dumping him out", try just laying the cup on the surface of the water and sort of...letting him swim out on his own. I feel like that would be less traumatic than dumping.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Maybe if you can cup him, instead of "dumping him out", try just laying the cup on the surface of the water and sort of...letting him swim out on his own. I feel like that would be less traumatic than dumping.
+1 that's what I do. I catch mine with the net and cup them, release them gently. I've tried catching them with cups and it's near impossible.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

I've always had good luck with taking out all the ornaments and plants, lowering the water level slightly, and then I *very gently* pick them up in my hands. I stick my hands in, then I can herd them into the corner, and scoop them up and dump them into the bowl I use for them during water changes (just fill the bowl with the water from their current tank). Cupping and having them swim into it would be less stressful...but mine won't do it, at least not more than once. I figure my *clean* hands are probably the most gentle alternative, and I think it's easier to catch them with hands rather than a net anyway.
They may shy away from your hands the first few times, but you also put your hands near the water to feed them, and they realize that hands don't necessarily mean getting caught, and they get over being frightened.
I know that many people on here don't take their fish out when they do water changes, so you might try that as well. It seems to stress mine out more if I don't remove them, but you could try both ways and see what works best for you. :)

Good luck to you!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #8 
Thrifty Bee

Thanks for your replies guys but releasing them isn't the problem, only catching one of them because he doesn't like the net. Yes, my DH thought one time when I first got him that it would be a good idea to pour him out of his tank with a little water because he was right on top, but he only did it once. I didn't mean to give anyone the impression that I'm not gentle when I release them. I didn't say that I dump them from a cup or net.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #9 
Thrifty Bee

I tried partial water changes while leaving the fish in the tank but then the waste wan't getting cleaned from the rocks and the bottom of the tank that way.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #10 
Pogthefish

I usually leave the fish in, but Whenever I take them out, I get the holding container and dip it in the water. They all know what it is by now and whoever wants can swim in. I pull it out and net whoever need it with a brine shrimp net. Then I feed them all a good, hearty meal, while I do whatever I need, and I put them back ^_^ Now they swim into the net, usually!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote