Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 
JaysuzGawd

Mollies?

My friend just bought a Gold Mollie maybe 2 days ago, and I commented on it, saying he seemed a bit off.

He stays toward the surface of the water, until he feeds them. Once the other mollies swim up toward him, he floats himself to the bottom until they're finished and swims back to the top (without eating).

We're not sure what to do. He won't eat, stays at the top, and steers clear of most of the fish in the tank.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by JaysuzGawd; 06-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.
JaysuzGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Is he gasping, are his gills red, how big is the tank?

When a fish is stressed....Like mollies, they tend to stick to the surface.... If there is not enough oxygen they stick to the surface as well.

The others haven't really accepted him.... Have you tried taking them out, rearranging decor, and re-adding everyone together? I've had to do that before.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #3 
JaysuzGawd

He doesn't seem like he's gasping for air or anything. It's a 30 gallon. All the others are doing just fine. He was like that when he got him.

I'll tell him to rearrange the decor and see how that goes.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Alright - if that is how he was acting before, BEWARE! I find mollies and balloon mollies alike, since they are kept in FRESH WATER (they should have brackish water...) they tend to get sick a lot more, I've noticed, especially with columnaris...
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #5 
JaysuzGawd

So, is there anything that we can really do for him?

I don't know how we can get him to eat..
Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Don't worry about food, it should be watching the water quality, and diseases.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysuzGawd View Post
My friend just bought a Gold Mollie maybe 2 days ago, and I commented on it, saying he seemed a bit off.

He stays toward the surface of the water, until he feeds them. Once the other mollies swim up toward him, he floats himself to the bottom until they're finished and swims back to the top (without eating).

We're not sure what to do. He won't eat, stays at the top, and steers clear of most of the fish in the tank.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks.
When in doubt,,a water change does no harm.
Would help to have answer's to the question's under Disease /emergencies section of the forum.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Only problem is that is for bettas lol. We should have "emergencies and diseases - other fish" xD
Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #9 
MollyJean

There are a lot of things that could be wrong. It's hard to tell without more information and pictures, but here are some basic ideas.

Mollies are prone to illness if they are kept in normal freshwater. Mollies need to be kept in brackish water, and I find that if they are left in fresh water, they start acting lethargic and wiggling a lot when they swim. Like they're too tired to move. If this fish had been kept in fresh water without any salt before you got him, he might be adjusting, and be in minor shock, from the change.

When you got him, did you quarantine him before placing him in the larger tank? He may have come to you ill, and this is the reason you should ALWAYS keep new fish separate for a few days, to watch for, identify and treat diseases.

Did you acclimate him to the new water? This should have been done as you where watching him for the first few days.

Do you have any idea how old he is? Mollies can live a few years under good conditions, balloon mollies only live about a year. Older mollies will have clamped fins most of the time and move slowly. They'll stay hidden or away from the other fish most of the time. I've lost a few fish to old age, so you might want to find out how old he was when you got him.

Pictures might help, if you have any, but with dalmatian or any spotted molly, it's hard to see some problems.

To treat him, I would remove him and place him in his own tank with brackish water and high heat (82-84) for a few days. Watch him closely and watch the other fish. If he's brought a sickness into the larger fish tank, the other fish might show the same signs. If this happens I would go with a full clean and add a little more salt then normal. If you see signs of an identifiable illness, like ich (white spots), velvet (gold coating) or fungus of any kind, these should be treated right away!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Brackish water needs Marine Salt, not the regular Aquarium Salt Just to pitch in lol