Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 
Lexipixie

Spitting out food? Normal?

ok, so i'm totally new to the fish and betta world (except for having fish when i was a kid, which i don't really remember)...

my little guy looks like he's spitting out his food. is this normal? i'm feeding him betta flakes (Tetra BettaMin) and one or two freeze dried bloodworms occassionally... especially with the flakes, he eats them, but then it looks like he's spitting some out. haha. and sometimes he'll go back to the stuff he spit out and eat it again.
i'm sorry if this is a stupid question and it's just part of the way they "chew" or digest or something... i'm just confused and want to make sure there's not something wrong with him or wrong with the food!

thanks!
Lexipixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #2 
marktrc

My young Ollie did that on bettamin. I would see it get spit out and re-eatten and spit out. It would end up on the bottom of my tank and in the gravel. I switched him to hikari betta pellets. The 3 bettas I currently have love it more then dried shrimp, blood worms, wardleys pellets or bettamin flakes. (Don't get wardleys pellets. The pellets are too big). I see people talk about other good pellets but I just mention hikari because it is in most stores (at least in Hawaii) and I have experience with it.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #3 
Eveh

My betta Oddie does the same thing. To me it seems like hes trying to eat it but he can't get a grip on it. Then he ends up being spit out. Thats why he he didn't have breakfast.

Edit: i have wardley pellets! Should I get new ones?
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #4 
marktrc

@evah sorry. I didn't mean that wardleys should be thrown away if you have it. I just meant for my fish it is too big. They have a hard time eating it. If your fish are doing fine on it then its up to you if you want to try something else. For me hikari is better the warleys because they can eat the whole thing in one bite. They seem to be more enthusiastic when I feed them hikari.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexipixie View Post
ok, so i'm totally new to the fish and betta world (except for having fish when i was a kid, which i don't really remember)...

my little guy looks like he's spitting out his food. is this normal? i'm feeding him betta flakes (Tetra BettaMin) and one or two freeze dried bloodworms occassionally... especially with the flakes, he eats them, but then it looks like he's spitting some out. haha. and sometimes he'll go back to the stuff he spit out and eat it again.
i'm sorry if this is a stupid question and it's just part of the way they "chew" or digest or something... i'm just confused and want to make sure there's not something wrong with him or wrong with the food!

thanks!
Remember, Freeze-Dried Foods are known to Bloat. Feed it sparingly 2-3 times a Week. The Flakes can break easily, so if he opens his mouth, some very small pieces might get out. Flakes are more messy than Flakes. If he's still eating, he's fine.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #6 
eaturbyfill

Mine spits it out once sometimes, but usually completely eats it when he gets it the second time. Your fishy should be fine
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 
Lexipixie

thank you all for the comments! i won't worry too much, but i'll probably pick up some pellets when i get a chance.
thanks!
Lexipixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #8 
LizzyP

I feed my guy pellets, and he did the same thing. In the mouth, spit out, eat it, spit out until it sunk to the bottom. Someone suggested I crush the pellets a little, so I use the lid to his food and old turkey call stick (something on my boyfriends desk) and make a pestle mortar and make them smaller. Since you feed flakes, try breaking them up a little more? I'm unfamiliar with flakes, so I can only make a suggestion and hope it works for you. Good luck.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

I break up the pellets and crush the flakes for my picky eaters too. It is normal for them to spit out food. Some betta's take a while to get used to new or different food, some are just finicky eaters. Some people on here soak pellets in garlic juice to get their betta's to eat it. I never do I just keep at it until they eat it and rotate between pellets and flakes and give a treat (bloodworms, mysis or daphnia) once a week on saturday. Sunday I use for fasting.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote