Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 
jonasgirl1622

Exclamation Betta Hasn't eaten for almost 2 weeks!!!

I have one before picture and two afters.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? ...i dont have a thermometer.
Does your tank have a filter? No..
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No..
Is your tank heated? No..
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no other fish just some rocks, coves and the bottom rocks.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Max
How often do you feed your betta fish? I would feed him once about 2 larger flakes, but now he wont eat. and hasn't eaten for 2 weeks.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week usually, unless it looks bad.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% but i try to make it the same temp
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin betta plus

Tricky part
Ammonia: N/a
Nitrite: N/a
Nitrate: N/a
pH: N/a
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is paler.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He still swims around and love hiding in his rock room. But he won't eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? two weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for a month or so.

Before you say I know 1/2 gallon is small but I can't afford a bigger one when I can I will but one.

Also he is naturally white with blue and purple fanning on his fins he's lost alot of color.

Before he stoped eating I was giving him bettafix because his fin had gotten torn by a plant I took out awhile back. Right after I started using bettafix he became more docile. He never really flares but he is always swimming and stuff. I had to leave for a couple days last week and when I came back he wouldn't eat anything. I stoped giving him bettafix cause I looked it up and it said it was bad for his labyrinth. I give him food every day but he just wont eat it! He goes up for water right by the food and doesn't even touch it. He still swims around and is active but he just won't eat! he doesn't act like he is hungry but he has to eat some time!
Attached Images

Last edited by jonasgirl1622; 06-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.
jonasgirl1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #2 
EllaFish

I am going to say that 1/2 gallon is too small. I am also going to say that you should have a thermometer and heater. And yes, you already said that you have no money, but if your Betta is in this bad of a shape you should just borrow money from a friend or a parent or whoever. Buy a thermometer, a larger tank, a heater, and frozen food. YES, SPLURGE! We are nursing a Betta who won't eat anything unless it was frozen. If you save a dollar by just buying freeze-dried food, he probably won't eat it and you'll just waste your money. You should change water more often, and the pH seems a little low. I don't know what your Betta has, but you really need to take better care of him and try some different foods. Good luck!!
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

Ok, random thought, Is he a marble? he looks like it. Also, add some 50% changes into your week, with a tank that small, amonia builds up FAST. How long have yu had him?

EDIT, I almost forgot, Your fish NEEDS a heater and thermometer! Thm being room-temp is like you living in 40 degrees! You wouldn;t do that, woudl you?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Im sorry, but 1/2 a gallon is UNSUITABLE for a betta fish. ALL bettas need a heater and a thermometer and for your tank size, you should be cleaning the tank 3 times a week.

http://www.Bettatalk.com
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Hope your Betta gets better. And don't worry about the Size of your Tank. If you do enough Water Changes, your Betta could live in it. However, you could buy a Kritter Keeper at Petsmart for $10. The biggest one is about 5 Gallons I've heard.
Here are the basics, Please upgrade your Tank as soon as you get Money:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

Last edited by LebronTheBetta; 06-24-2012 at 12:05 PM.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #6 
megaredize

he seems like he might be cold. their metabolisms slows right down in colder water. so u will have to somehow warm up that water. I know you know ur tank is too small so im not going to repeat it. i know u dont have money so they only thing i could think of is maybe if you can find it this very small heater. its 8 watt from marina its meant for bettas in those very small tanks heres a link http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/11182 my local store just started carrying them. i would also keep the water really clean to see if that perks him up too. good luck
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I'm not going to bash the tank size...

But the temperature should be about 78 degrees F :) to be able to keep a tank stable for temperature, avoiding all the drops (some can go from 1 degree drop at night to a whopping 15!) a heater is great!!!

Unfortunately you cannot heat a small bowl or tank safely... yes there are 7.5 watt, 8 watt, 10 watt heaters, but some of them can over heat (yikes!) but keep in mind for a 1/2 a daily cleaning is needed to avoid ammonia burns and fin rot (yuck!)

If you are tight on money, try getting Tupperware, or Rubbermaid FOOD SAFE containers. I use a few, when all my quarantines are in use and somebody gets sick! These tubs can range from 0.5 gallons, to I'd say 5 gallons. I also have a bi ol' round tub from Wal Mart for 6.00, that is 17.8 gallons that my fish have not had a problem with :)

I will share with you two pictures... Picture one is Crayola, when he was in cold water after I got him. The second picture was a week later. Wow! What a difference! And YES that is the SAME betta. Warm water makes an AWESOME difference in the color, behavior, and eating habits of your betta.
Hope that helped a little.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #8 
jonasgirl1622

Edit:
PH is 7.8
alkalinity is 120
those are the only I can check right this minute.

Thank you so much for your answers!! I am so glad I put my questions here. and I'm working on getting the stuff I need.
jonasgirl1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

While the half gallon isn't ideal-you can make it work....sometimes we have work within our means......doesn't mean we shouldn't keep a wet-pet.....A lot of different ways to keep this species successfully....

In the half gallon-I would increase water changes to 3 times a week...2-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....

You may or may not need a heater and it can be a challenge to safely heat a half gallon-You might try moving him to the warmest area of the house-even near a window to get some sun for a few hours, place a lamp over the bowl to help warm it up some...etc.....sometimes we have to get creative....

Cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat/humidity over the water-this can help some with water temp too.

You do need a thermometer to monitor the water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes to try and keep it within a few degrees between tank water and replacement water.....

I found a digital thermometer in the housewares dept pretty cheap and use that for my quick temp checks.

You want to keep the water temp at least 75-76F at the lowest-A healthy Betta can tolerate lower temps short term-But your is not thriving right now and most likely it is related to temp and even water quality....

Right now-what I would recommend is-first check the temp-Then make some 50% water changes using like temp to a few degrees higher if the water temp is under 75F, dechlorinated water for a few days to see if you can get him to perk up and eat....

If you have access to mosquito larva-collect some-give them a rinse and offer several to see if the live food will stimulate his feeding response-If he doesn't eat them-leave them in with him.....

If you have access to any Oak trees or have any IAL-add some to the tank to tan the water-the tannins can help.
I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves as my tannin source

Lovely fella....good luck and keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-24-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #10 
LizzyP

I used to keep Dumbledore in a 1/2 gallon bowl (before I realized he needed a heater, thermometer, etc.) and he was just like your fish. Sat at the bottom, didn't eat, lost a lot of color. Anyway, I'm tight on money as well, but unfortunately if you want to keep a pet, you should keep them comfortable.

The tank I have is a Marineland Crescent 3 gal aquarium system. It came with a filter and a LED light. I bought it @ Petsmart with a membership card for $35, however I think it's $39.99 without one. Some say you don't need a filter, some do, some say it doesn't matter, so I suppose it's up to you. The heater I have is a Marineland 25 watt (gauged for up to 8 gallons) with a thermostat. I HIGHLY recommend a thermostat, that way you can control the water tempature. This one had a dial on the top but goes from 79F-82F so I put it between the two and it seems to be staying at about 79F, and the thermometer is just a stick on that sticks on the outside of the tank. The food I feed is a TetraBetta floating mini pellets, about 3 pellets crushed up twice a day.

These purchases were about $75. I understand it's a lot for someone tight on money, but if you want to keep a happy fish, then I suggest saving up some money, or borrowing it from your folks or a friend. My betta is great now, happy and doesn't spend much time hiding. Good luck and keep us posted.

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote