Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Exclamation We had an accident...

Please don't judge me, I'm a new betta owner and this was a total and complete accident. I feel awful.

I was cleaning Dumbledore's tank. Everything was going fine, I had him in a little Tupperware container for the time being and it was time to put him back in his tank. I went to take his container, and I pulled the top off (it was on loose to begin with, I had it on there so he could still get oxygen put not jump out) and as soon as I did that...He jumped out, luckily landed on the table. I went to gently put him back into the container, and he jumped again (at this point I'm freaking out) and he fell off the dresser...into a dusty old box of my boyfriend high-school football memorabilia. He was in the box for probably 15 seconds tops before I got him out and back into his tank. He immediately sank to the bottom, clamped his fins and hid behind the filter. I dropped some food on the top of his tank and he eventually came out and ate. He seems to be fine now, swimming around, digging in the gravel, resurfacing and doesn't seem to be clamping as much. Is there anything I can do for him now? His water is about 78-80 degrees so I know he isn't cold. I just feel awful.

I also have another question, completely unrelated to this. Before I cleaned his tank (just did a 50% change) there were white foamy kind of bubbles sticking to his filter, and the sides of the tank. What is that? Should I be worried? Thanks.

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 
Aus

The bubbles are his bubble nest. Male bettas makes those when in the mood for breeding (not when they are 'happy', as is often said - it's to do with instinct, they'll make them even in bad conditions..). No need to worry!

And poor fish! Warm, clean water (no ammonia!) and keep him dark and quiet a few days (don't be poking him..). Maybe get some Stress Coat, which will help with scale and fin repair and is mildly antiseptic as well.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #3 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
The bubbles are his bubble nest. Male bettas makes those when in the mood for breeding (not when they are 'happy', as is often said - it's to do with instinct, they'll make them even in bad conditions..). No need to worry!

And poor fish! Warm, clean water (no ammonia!) and keep him dark and quiet a few days (don't be poking him..). Maybe get some Stress Coat, which will help with scale and fin repair and is mildly antiseptic as well.
I did drop some Fungus Guard that I had (he had slight fin rot when I got him...He's a Walmart fish), it's said to help with clamped fins and has slight antiseptic to help with fin repair (I haven't noticed any torn fins, he flared at the fish on his food container when I set it down). He seems to be happy though, swimming normally, not hiding and even came to greet me when I went to check on him. I think I might have gave him a fright but not seriously hurt him...
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #4 
kfish

They're usually fine after events like this! Don't worry. He'll be okay. I remember one poster having a bowl crash onto the floor and shatter and the fish was fine.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
They're usually fine after events like this! Don't worry. He'll be okay. I remember one poster having a bowl crash onto the floor and shatter and the fish was fine.
Yeah.. When I was 5, we had a Betta in a bowl and when my mom wasn't around I picked it up and dropped it. My mom and me were too afraid to pick him up so the neighbor picked him up, put him in a cup and kept him.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #6 
xjenuhfur

Just keep him in nice clean warm treated water. Some IAL if you've got it, but stress coat will work okay too.

Those bubbles could be a bubble nest, or it could just be the filer bubbling. :) depends on how it looks.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #7 
kfish

For future reference, you can leave Dumbledore in his tank for a 50% change. He might be a little scared at first, but he will get used to you and eventually swim up to your hands. :) Mr. Fish used to wiggle around my fingers and make me pet him.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #8 
LizzyP

This is how he's looking now...Sorry for the bad quality, he's camera shy.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #9 
kfish

He looks so much better than when you first brought him home, even after his fall! :D
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #10 
Pogthefish

I once dropped a fish, and looked everywhere and couldnt find him! I finally found him five minutes later, inside the food container! the whole was an inch across, tops! Longest living fish I have ever had! He wil be fine :)
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accidents, healing, health