Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

Splitting a 5 gallon?

If I move before I happen to get another betta (the betta I REALLY want) it won't really matter. But I really want another betta and I was thinking if my water parameters test well today I might bring home a new boy or girl depending on who calls to me and/or looks and acts the healthiest. I am going to Petsmart, and yes I know it's not the most ideal or best place, I'm just saying if I see one that I really like after I am done dealing with the employees I might bring him or her home with me.

What I am really wondering is if they will eventually as a potentiality be able to live in a divide tank for a small amount of time with another betta and be alright for that small amount of time until I finally get a new place. Once I get a new place I want to either start a sorority or just get a bigger tank to have as a community with the other betta being on his own in the 5 gal with probably a couple ghosties.

I intend to keep the new betta I (probably) get today in my .7 gal hosp tank for a week to kinda quarintine and to make sure if this other oto is going to make it or not so that the ammonia spike won't kill the new betta.

Does this sound like an acceptable course of action? I've learned so much from this site and see a lot of errors in how I handled my last betta although I know for a fact that he had a relatively good and fulfilling life especially near the end. He did make several bubble nests, almost constantly when he was just chilling in the .7 gal before I knew it was bad for him, so I know he was at least happy then. He really did love to leave me bubble nests :) It was so cute.

Also, I have betta pellets, is there a betta/second kind of food I should get that's not too exensive for right now that I could like alternate or just give to him or her? And I AM going to take lots of pictures of this new one.

The second one I will be getting from one of two breeders from this site I am just waiting for them to be bred and/or ready. :) But again that won't be for at least about a month.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Hi! If you want to divide a 5 gallon, I recommend dividing it when you have just one... That way you are not taking away his territory.

You are using an oto to cycle the 5? Yikes! As hardy as they seem, I recommend minnows or a guppy for fish-in cycling if you must, and either find a home for it, or keep it.

Do you have a heater for the 5? And what kind of filter? I recommend a sponge filter, or perhaps a baffled one. I happen to have one that is for a 5, and is adjustable!!!

I feed my bettas: Tetramin tropical granules, frozen mini bloodworms, freeze dried bloodworms, and sometimes live foods, like the meat from a gut-loaded mealworm (cut off head, squeeze out meat...yuck!)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #3 
Neil D

What exactly are you asking?

You could divide a 5g for the rest of the betta's life. Just make sure they don't stress out seeing each other

I would recommend Frozen Bloodworms for another food. I got Hikari BWs for my bettas and they love it.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #4 
AltheaGlyndwr

I was asking if it was alright to separate them but also have them both in the same tank(divided). Thanks, I've just read that many people believe that they need at least 5 gallons of water all to themselves. I just wanted to clarify. :)

Thanks for the advice Sena! And thank you both about the food stuffs~ I have some left over pellets from Rainbow but he always thought they were too big.

And actually my tank is already cycled. I had just gotten an oto to eat my algae but then found out they needed more than one of themselves and so got two more and now the first one and one of the "new" ones are dead with the other "new" one remaining. Still not sure if he'll survive. I actually used my ghost shrimp to cycle through the first time(they were the only ones that survived the sickness that killed Rainbow and whatever killed the to ADFs I had).

I had my water parameters tested at Petsmart today and everything was perfect/neutral/0 except for a spike in ammonia which I think came from the two otos dying. I think one of them was in there over night and part of the day dead so he left a lot of ammonia behind (I couldn't find him anywhere the night before and then finally noticed him in the morning hidden dead). I am going to be doing a lot of water changes to try and get rid of the ammonia on top of using the brand new gravel vaccuum that I bought today to clean up the messes in the rocks. I want to get the tank really clean for my new guy. :)

I have a heater that keeps the water at about 78 although I may eventually splurge and get one that I can actually control the temp of (Tetra submersible heater for 2-15 gallon). Also I do have a filter it is an Aqua-tech Power Filter model 5-15 that came with the 5 gallon tank setup with a lid and light and everything. Is there some kind of sponge that I can stick in the filter intake part so that it makes the current slower? I know Rainbow didn't like it very much he had to swim away from it. More specifically what kind of sponge and where and how should I prepare it?
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I have bad luck with otos lol my missing oto caused an ammonia spike, and my one female betta died after showing dropsy for three days -.-

Always go for aquarium sponges...NEVER a cleaning sponge. I don't care if it is cheaper, it has all the chemical stuff in it :( Fish stores, some pet stores may have it. As for baffling, I'm not sure on it... I think some people put the sponge beneath the flow, which softens it nicely (I saw a picture which is why I remember lol)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote