Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

re-do my tank or keep as is?

i had a betta sorority in a 10 gallon filtered and heated tank..1 of them had to what i believe was ICH,white spots on her..i took her out and put her in something separate to treat her.i put her back in several days later.he eventually got ate at and died..about a week or 2 later.more of my girls started getting sick..they started to loose their color.gills seem reddish in color.

they were gasping for air,stayed at the bottom or rested in the plants i have.they slowly started to die off.all my girls died.ammonia was high,around 2ppm..nitrate and nitrites were at 0.ph was at 7.6..

not realizing exactly how long it can take to cycle.i did it for about a week then slowly started adding my girls,who all got along perfectly.i assume they had ammonia burns due to their symptoms.but i think it might have been a little more than that..

what does everyone think.should i leave the water and everything in it and use the tank as is.by the way its now been up and running for about 2 months.i did water changes about once a week.about a 25% change and about a 50% change once a month..

or should i completely disassemble the tank.clean everything.and start all over?im kinda hesitant because of the beneficial bacteria thats in there.but surly dont want to take the risk of any new fish getting sick.i checked the ammonia the other day after the fish had been out.it was about 1ppm.i can check again now if needed.i use API freshwater master test kit.

i thought about buying some rosy red minnows(fathead minnows) to use as a tester/help the tank cycle.but i want to keep them as a pet..and add maybe another betta in it with them or a schooling tank.

there are pictures of my tank if you click on tanks in aquariums above my avatar picture..

any ideas on what i should do?im not in any rush.my current betta is in a 2 gallon and is perfectly healthy.no other fish yet.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

I think it was ammonia poisoning. I would just cycle the tank, wait till you are sure it is done then try again.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

thank you...i was thinking the samething but want entirely sure :)
Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

I dont have anything to add. But your avi Betta looks like my spade tail female, Pandora! She's in my album if u wanna see :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

ah yes you are rite..i just looked :) mine also has a black outline.kinda like a color book.rite along the outside of the fins..i love you fish :)
Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
ah yes you are rite..i just looked :) mine also has a black outline.kinda like a color book.rite along the outside of the fins..i love you fish :)
Thanks! Yours is very pretty too :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #7 
prodrumernate

you're welcome and thank you also :)
Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #8 
xjenuhfur

If you ever suspect ich, it's best to treat the whole tank, for future reference. It's contagious. If you did suspect ich, raise the temp of the tank to the 85 and let it sit for 2 weeks. The ich can't live without a host.
Feeds the tank fish food to keep the cycle though.

A cycle can take about a month. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
hey were gasping for air,stayed at the bottom or rested in the plants i have.they slowly started to die off.all my girls died.ammonia was high,around 2ppm..nitrate and nitrites were at 0.ph was at 7.6..
That does sound like ammonia poisioning but bettas are pretty hardy and I dont think a 2.0 would kill them all off. Almost all the bettas I have gotten from petco had levels of at least 4.o or higher. I would think some of them would of survived. It could of been nitrIte poisioning as well. Also known as 'brown blood disease' because the blood turns brown from a increase of methemoglobin. However, methemoglobin causes a more serious problem than changing the color of the blood. It renders the blood unable to carry oxygen, and the fish can literally suffocate even though there is ample oxygen present in the water.Different species of fish tolerate differing levels of nitrite. Some fish may simply be listless, while others may die suddenly with no obvious signs of illness. Common symptoms include gasping at the surface of the water, hanging near water outlets, rapid gill movement, and a change in gill color from tan to dark brown. I think the only way to get nitrite is if you have a filter though. I dont know if they can get it if they are just in a unfiltered cup

I think I would start over and clean everything just in case. Fish in cycling isn't hard as long as you know what you are doing. keep up on the water tests and when it gets to .5 or 1.0 do a water change.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-24-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #10 
prodrumernate

i do suspect ICH.im no expert but im great at researching and getting the facts needed to make sure..so i do say its ICH.my dad believes she was sick before i got her.though no signs until it was too late.they were on sale at petco.well the females.seems like an effort to kinda clear out over stock.some of the locations,the bettas water was filthy.i was upset and took some home.so i believe it was ICh based on pictures and reading info about it.i wish i had quarantined her a little longer.

i figured if it was all ammonia poisoning they would have died a lot sooner.not 2 months after being in it.

my nitrates and nitrites test came back 0..i even shook the bottle and bang it to shake everything up as i was told before. let it sit about 5 minutes.even came back an hour and looked at he tubes.it was all the same.but i wouldnt be surprised.i think at 1 point i had a slight reading for nitrate.like maybe a 1.but it was hard to tell.so close to the 0 color..

oh before i forget i want to say that my last betta,my oldest her waste was clear.i read something about that earlier somewhere but forgot.she use to freak out and watch me no matter what i was doing.begging me for food,by the way she was a little over fed but was on a diet and getting better..then the last few of her final days.she was placid.lethargic didnt even care i was there.

they did have rapid gill movement..gasping for air.their gills were red maybe purple or brownish.most of them were red fish so they were more of a brown red in color on their gills.they always sat under the filter,near the outlet like they wanted to swim upstream almost.

i have a filter.to which i had blocked the outlet using a sponge for aquariums i cut down to size to ease the flow.which i fount out later is not good and slows the growth of bacteria.

the fish with ICH had white sugar grain like splotches on the front of her.

i think i will re do everything.my ammonia i still high though i changed the water and no fish for several days.and id rather take the time etc cleaning it then risking another life..thank you all so much..i really appreciate it