Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 
labloverl

Black bettas and crown tails

Are they less common? I mainly just see red and blue ones in the pet store, but would love a black one to go with my red VT.

About tail differences... I've only had VT's, but like the look of crown tails. But I think I remember reading somewhere that CT's either swim a bit differently, or the tail weighs them down. I can't remember exactly, but I would think that a VT would have a heavier tail. Maybe what I read had something to do with the filter flow.... Is there any big difference between VT's and CT's other than the shape of the tail?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #2 
fleetfish

No difference whatsoever, besides shape of their tail. Though I do find that CTs often have more fin rot issues than VTs, it's not too significant.

As for blacks, they can be difficult to find in a store, but depending on where you are you might be able to find one if you're lucky. I happen to have two blacks. Brunhilda, in my signature, is a black/yellow half giant CT female and Knight is a black orchid delta. :)

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you around!

Last edited by fleetfish; 06-22-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: forgot to welcome :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

The ones with bigger Fins such as the Halfmoon or Delta can be weighed down by their Fins. I have a CT. They don't swim differently. But, if your Water is too hard, the tips of the CT's Fins might Curl. Like a New Hair-Do!!
Welcome to the Forum BTW!!!

Last edited by LebronTheBetta; 06-22-2012 at 04:14 PM.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there..I have a Royal Blue CT and he swims wonderfully I love to watch him ! A black Betta would be awesome, sometimes when the light is not shining on Perseus he looks black as his blue color is a very deep blue in places like his head.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 
Shadyr

Three of my four betta boys are crowntails, and I love them. They are neat when they flare and stick those fins out to full spread.

My halfmoon is the only one who to me seems visibly slowed down by his finnage. Even so, he gets around just fine. None of them have a filter in their tank that they'd have to fight against, which probably helps.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #6 
labloverl

Thanks, everyone!

Hmmm, maybe it was the tips of the fins curling. Oh well, I'm just glad to know that there's not a big difference. I think I'll get one!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #7 
fleetfish

When you do, post pics!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

Saw a large black crowntail today @ Pet Supermarket. I think you just have to really look around. I have noticed some stores are really upping their betta game!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #9 
labloverl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
Saw a large black crowntail today @ Pet Supermarket. I think you just have to really look around. I have noticed some stores are really upping their betta game!
That's good!

I hope I can find a black one, but it will be a while as I have to divide my 10 gallon.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #10 
teeneythebetta

On Monday I saw a CT Female at PETco, she was mostly black & had some of her scales with blue and red, she was beautiful! I'm going back today maybe she's still there :3
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote