Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Strange Illness In Sorority

So, my sister and I have had constant issues with our ever changing sorority. First Sabino displayed illness after our move in the form of a giant, gaping hole in her side that became infected as well as a slightly swollen bottom lip. thanks to Sakura, who sent us a bottle of kanamyacin, she survived and is almost at 100%. This happened about 2 months ago at the very least.

Since then, the remaining two girls of the sorority have developed an ilnness. Pollux formed a swollen, grey lower lip and her upper lip began dissolving away. Castor showed no signs until recently where her right side pineconed a bit and her lips looked to be dissolving too.

Ping, the newest addition to the sorority before the other two began showing any symptoms has now developed a small white lump on her lip. It looks to be an external parasite, but she gets too wiggly to get a good look.

Unfortunately, Castor passed away sometime between 10 this morning and now as I just found her dead on the bottom. Just yesterday she was being her usual zippy self.

There was no darting or rubbing of any kind. Just the occasional lethargy after a little nipping war (Castor and Pollux mostly).

The tank does not have the heater turned on as it's been maintaining a level of 76-78 on it's own. It does have a filter which is always on. We removed the carbon yesterday and started a treatment of kanamyacin and epsom salt (2 tsp/gal) as well as stress coat.

Beans, our half blind girl who's been floating to get her acquainted with the girls before being released in with them has now shown any symptoms, so we know that it is something in the water of the sorority.

This is also the tank where, no matter how much we sterilize and clean, almost every single girl (With the exceptions of Sabino, Tokyo--taken by a cat, Chocolate--got stuck and drowned, and Ping) have died from dropsy or some other form of illness.

Are there any illnesses that match the description of dissolving lips/ swollen lips? There is no excess mucous, flashing, scratching, or darting as well as no erratic swimming or labored breathing.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
Bladezero

Sounds like :
Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Here's some pictures. the first two are of Pollux and the last is of Ping.

The bottom of Polux's gills seems to be pineconed a little bit as well. Could this be some sort of parasite?

Name:  GEDC0348.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  43.3 KB
Name:  GEDC0363.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  GEDC0355.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  31.0 KB
Old 06-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #4 
Bladezero

They both look abit bloated but not in a serious level(the first one is full of eggs too :P)
The red stripes on her cheek, is it her normal coloring?
She looks kinda gasping for air, the tail damage is biting?
Also its a bite wound on her side?

She was scared of the flash or was scared before you took the photo?(first one)
Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

The first one, Pollux, is actually a tail biter. I know it's not common in females, but when we had her in isolation we observed her actually biting. So some of the fin damage is from that as well as the nipping from the late Castor.

Bot are eggy. Ping, the dark blue one, has always been quite big in her stomach area, but she's never displayed any issues with that. she's been one of our healthiest females and this is really one of her first illnesses with us. Initially we though Ping was actually a male since her fins are very long and she possess a more masculine body, but recently she dropped eggs, proving that her egg tube wasn't just leftover from being a fry.

We keep our sorority females in almost breeding condition all the time so that any nips they have heal faster and so that they're too full to really feel like fighting at all. They'd all much rather eat that fight each other. As of right now, only Ping and Pollux are in the sorority together, but they've never shown aggression towards each other and we watch very closely for any signs of it.

As far as Pollux's color, that has been a constant coloring for her. .Both the red stripes and the stress stripes on her. She only has fin damage from Castor. No open wounds on her other than her lips.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #6 
Bladezero

Well there is something called mouth rot..
I never had to deal with it myself but if I'm not mistaken its a Bacterial infection..

Either that or columnaris..
That as far as my knowledge goes.. try pming OFL

I can tell you how to treat both but better have someone more experienced then me take a look..
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Heater is not on
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 other female for the time being (Sorority tank, so this is for the 2 females that are in there)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin pellets, Hikari Shrimp, Tetra Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, 1 day fasting

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe Plus

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pollux- Missing top lip, swollen gray lower lip, and slight pineconing under gills (See pictures)
Ping- White dot on lip
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No behavior changes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 100% change, Kanamyacin, and 2 tsp/gal epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Pollux is at least 1 year; Ping is at least 1.5-2 years
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #8 
missmayr

I have little personal experience with dropsy, but from what I read, any container that housed a fish with dropsy or tuberculosis should be thrown away. Unfortunately, there is no way to get rid of the two not even with bleach which will kill off most diseases.

If you want to see if they come up with symptoms of dropsy, maybe quarantine them in a smaller, cheaper container such as a bowl. If they show no signs, move them into your new tank. If they do, then you'll only get rid of another cheap bowl instead of your new tank as well.

While it is a very expensive decision, your tank could continue to be like typhoid mary and continue spreading dropsy to your poor little future fishies.

Good luck!!
missmayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #9 
Aus

Here's a decent article about fish TB and how to disinfect the tank:

http://www.petbrags.com/profiles/blo...is-if-you-keep

I think it's mouth rot, though - columnaris, which causes aggressive lesions, mouth rot and can kill quickly.

Kanaplex is the treatment most often recommended (we can't get that here, apparently, so I use Myxazin). Use stringent quarantine for any new fish and use separate equipment for all fish tanks. Wash hands between handling tanks/equipment, as i's really contagious. It can kill slowly or suddenly.

If it's mainly in the one tank - stop adding fish to that tank until the problem's been gone for a couple of months.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Pollux formed a swollen, grey lower lip and her upper lip began dissolving away.
That sounds exactly like what two of my girls had. Not sure if the lip was grey due to their color but the top part looked like it was being eatten away. No cotton growth or any other symptoms, just a missing lip and she had a hole in her side. I though she got into a fight but later scratched the idea as another girl who lived alone also got the missing lip. And two others had what looked like columnaris but no meds worked and it took them weeks to die.

There is another bacteria, that has similar symptoms to columnaris but its antibiotic resistant and can live in extrame heat and cold. However I do not recall what it is called :(

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-25-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote