Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #1 
WoodenFlashlight

Exclamation Please help. Injury may now be fin rot?

Alright, so my roommate has this Betta that we named Hades. He's very special to her. The other day, he hurt his tail by jumping and skidding across the top of the water, and it caused his tail to be folded over slightly on the top. He wasn't swimming any different, so we figured it would unsort itself.

A day went by and it was still all bent, but when he moved to 'dance' like he usually does, his tail unfurled, but it went right back.

Someone on another site suggested I give him antibiotics, to which we went and got some right away, because we're actually fish-sitting for another, very VERY sick Betta whom was from an owner who had no idea what he's doing. [He passed away this afternoon...]

But now, Hades snubbed food this morning, and he is always BEGGING for food. He snubbed live blood worms and a pellet, and his tail now has a weird film around it and looks even more twisted up. I have some pictures to show you progress.

^Here is Hades when we first got him home, before his tank had set. As you can see, he has a gorgeous transparent tail.

^These are his tail after he's 'folded' it, right before we changed his water to put in the antibiotics.

^And this is Hades this morning. He's at the bottom of his tank just moping and there's this fuzzy film around his back fin. We have lots of anti-biotic stuff called MELAFIX that we've been giving him the suggested amount since we got it yesterday. But him snubbing the food is what REALLY worries us.

Please help, we love Hades dearly, and his brothers, Zeus and Poseidon, are both happy healthy Bettas in their own tanks, but for some reason, Hades just isn't doing too well.

We have a PH testing kit, the PH in Hades' tank was a little high so we changed it. It's still higher than we would like, so do you have any suggested solutions to lower the PH? Our straight tapwater is 7.8 PH, and with the conditioner in it, it goes down to about 7.4. Still too high.

In addition, would a heater work on a 3 gallon tank? Our boys in their smaller, globe tanks are very easy to keep the right temperature without one, but their PH is a wee bit high as well.

Thank you, everyone. We are both novice Betta owners with very limited funds, so nothing extraordinary or expensive, but we'll do everything within our means to care for them. We've done lots of research which obviously paid off for Zeus and Poseidon, but if we loose Hades in addition to whom was going to be our new family member Hermes, we're going to be heartbroken. We don't know what to do.

[Just for the record, Hermes/Sharkbait/Darci, the Baby Betta of many names, died this afternoon from excessive stress caused by his previous owner. She did little to no research and had changed his water 4 times within the first 3 days of owning him, and he was barely even an inch long. We got him from her care to fish-sit him for a week and he was in an awful state, we're fairly certain he just lost the will to live. His passing was not our fault, we did our best to get him to eat but he refused. We bought live bloodworms and flakes and two other kinds of pellets but he downright refused. Sadly the stress caused by all the abuse just was too much on him and he passed.]

Thank you all in advance
WoodenFlashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

to me it looks like fin rot possibly.but really hard to tell..a heater would be good in a 3 gallon.i have 1 in my 2 gallon.if you look at my tanks but clicking on aquariums above my avatar picture you can see my 2 gallon..im sorry to hear about the fih tha have passed away.just went through it myself with 5 girls..

the ph is ok as long as its not above 8 i believe.mine is always at about 7.6.my betta is as happy as can be...becareful how much you feed hom and make sure to remove any un eaten food.

for now i wouldnt do any treatments until someone on here who know a lot about fish can comment as well...im somewhat of a newbie.just starting back into bettas so its been a long time ince ive delt with them until the past few months..

i would for now continue water changes and monitoring him as well as the water conditions.ill do some research and post back if i find anything.i just wanted to post this now to help the bet i can and keep the thread at the top so some experts can also look..ill do some research now..keep us posted with any changes and new pictures if you can please.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 
WoodenFlashlight

Thanks

Thank you so much! I'll keep a close eye on him. He's hiding behind his wall decoration right now.

Oh, for other information:

No, he hasn't been trying to scratch himself on anything. He has only gotten lethargic and lost his appetite.

I'm so sorry to hear about your girls...
Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

you're welcome..i really hope i can find more info and other will post as well.thank you also.i will continue to do some research..i really want Hades to be a healthy betta..if i find anything.ill surly post rite away.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #5 
WoodenFlashlight

I've been doing research, too, but I just can't be sure without some opinions. I really, really hope it isn't fin rot...!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #6 
prodrumernate

after reading a little more info and looking at your pictures.i dont think its fin rot..it could be a fungus infection possibly due to the fact the fin is black on the outside and there is no tear or anything as a sign of fin rot itself...rite now it comes down to keeping him as stress free as possible.try not to have any lights on him.like tank lights.

i really wish one of the experts would comment on this also.i dont want to say to treat him and he has fin rot.or say to treat him and he doent,then he gets sick..you have done research also.its almost like we both dont think its fin rot.maybe a fungus possibly.

do you have any aquarium salt?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #7 
WoodenFlashlight

No, no aquarium salt. Should we get some? I thought it was only for BIG big tanks, like 10 gallon and more?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 
prodrumernate

some recommend aquarium salt.some dont.some live by it and others are against it.i personally use aquarium salt.even in my 2 gallon.i follow the directions.i add just a few pieces of alt into the tank to help protect against any diseases.if you havent done so already today.i would do a 25% water change.aquarium salt also helps relieve stress.

my betta has jumped out of her tank a couple times and has fallen down and hit a few things.i want to go more on the fungus side than anything else.we really need an expert in here or someone who knows about this better than we do.i want to say treat with antibiotics.but im hesitant because i dont want to make things worse. i havent fount anything else about this while searching.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #9 
WoodenFlashlight

Well our other two boys are perfectly healthy and happy in their one-gallon globes and they don't have any salt... But we'll try it. Thanks again, and here's to hoping someone who knows what they're doing shows up.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #10 
prodrumernate

i cant really tell from the pictures.but is he loosing any of his tail?or its the same just black?

Tags
emergency, fin damage, novice