Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #21 
prodrumernate

when doing a water change other than 100% leave him in there..make ure the water is about the same temp as the tank water.and make sure to use water conditioner..i have 3 gallon jugs i have sitting full of water to help rid of chlorine etc.leaving the water to sit atleast 24 hours.but at times i need to use straight tap water.either way i always use conditioner to be on the safe side.

i would only do a 100% water change a month if not filtered.if its a filtered tank then only the 20-25% once or twice a week and a 50% once a month..

i also would like to see more info as LebronTheBetta has posted.sorry i forgot to ask about it
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #22 
prodrumernate

since u have a filter.and did a 100% water change.u might have killed nearly all the beneficial bacteria.and now is going through the cycling phase which can cause him to be sick..the temp personally seems a little too low.id keep it around 78..

not knowing what the other parameters of his water is is kinda hard to tell also..but ince u just did a water change.i dount u will have any nitrates or nitrites,but possibly an ammonia spike which is most likely causing the black fin
Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #23 
WoodenFlashlight

Alright. We'll get him a heater to make sure his temp is steady and we'll get some AQ salts. Thank you all so much, as you can tell we're new at this.
WoodenFlashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #24 
lelei

Best thing to have is a 1.75 gal Kritter keeper, and add the Aq salt with some water conditioner to the kk, and let it sit, actually add the water conditioner and the salt 1tsp per gal in a bucket mix well..let sit, then pour into the kk..let sit for about 45 mins get a thermometer and put in kk.. and take fishy out of the other tank, with a cup, place cup in kk..with fishy in it, slowly let fishy get used to the kk..and mix the water with the water in kk..that is already in cup, from tank, once fishy gets used to the water, then just tip the cup to the side, and fishy will swim out on his own.. Good luck keep us posted:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #25 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I wish I could be of help but new to Betta keeping myself as I have only had mine just over a month and he is my first one. Lets hope you get some more good feedback and what to do for the little guy. Keep checking their are some really good experts here and best of wishes for you and your little one !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #26 
prodrumernate

its no problem and glad we could help..i ue to have bettas.stopped for a couple years.just got back into the past few months.so i feel like im new at it myself.its y i kept jumping around with my post.my way of talking to myself without actually talking.plus o others might read and correct me so i learn as well..

i agree with lelei :)
Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #27 
lelei

Also just to add, I had our Sammy in Avi, in a 3 gal who moved up from the KK, and in the begining he went through an adjustment phase, but got used to it pretty quick, it had an air stone, for oxygenation, to the water, but not a filter and for the most part I did 50-75 % water changes and did a thourough gravel vaccumming every time I did water change, then I did like an 85% water change, and my fishy did fine:) However get the heater and maintain the temp at 78degrees is best anywehre from 76-80 but 78 is the best..I have seen others at 79 or 77 which is fine either way..

it is a matter of getting used to seeing how fishy reacts to different situations, too=as long as he is eating well, swimming normal, and if he is refusing food, change the food, if he is not eating pellets try different pellets, micro are usually the preferred choice to some betta's and keep in mind Bloodworms are a treat only (1x a week) or every other week..
Old 06-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #28 
WoodenFlashlight

The guy at the pet store told us that our blood worms were only going to last about two weeks >.o so we have been using them as meals. So far no ill effects on our two healthy boys, Zeus and Poseidon.
WoodenFlashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #29 
prodrumernate

yes,i got my AQ salt from walmart its in a small 16 oz blue bag.the brand is Jungle Aquarium Salt.it was just a couple dollars...

i use a 1 gallon for hospital tank.thats what ive also read on many sites as well.its a good size because the water wont get as dirty as fast,allows room for swimming,and you dont have to use as much medicine as you would anything larger.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #30 
lelei

Not true about the bloodworms, betta's need a staple diet with foods such as pellets, and or flakes. Especially if you feed Freeze dried bw's they expand in the fishy's belly and cause bloat, and fishy will get sick.

It's unfortunate that some pet store people do not give the best advice in regards to taking care of the fish we buy..but this forum is great for advice and support, I have been here for about 2mons, and have learned much from everyone here, and a lot of research I did on my own. But invest in a high quality pellet for your lil guy, My Sammy is and has been eating Hakari Gold micro pellets since we got him, 2 months ago, and is already in a 5 gallon tank, because he grew so fast and loves his pellets soo much..

it's such a joy at feeding time to see the exitement that I see from him, when he knows he's getting his favorite food, if the first 3 ingredients are fish, and fish mean, and soybean, it's a good product, some others have too much yeast and fillers and no taste..which is why betta's don't like em much..Btw Welcome to the forum, and don't worry about looking for answers..we all are here for the same reason:)

Tags
emergency, fin damage, novice