Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 
Nasha66

reptile to keep in a ten gallon tank

My tiger salamander Orion died recently and i wanted to know if anyone had a suggestion for what kind of reptile to keep in his old ten gallon tank, I was thinking maybe a snake, anyone know if there are snakes that can live in ten gallon tanks?

Thanks.
Nasha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

No, Most common Snakes can't live in that. Maybe a Leopard Gecko?
That's their Minimal Tank Size. Make sure to wash it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #3 
lvandert

snakes need at least a 20 long. I would get a gecko or anoles.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #4 
SweetNightmare

Anoles are cool. Rough green snakes could probably do it, but aren't very handlable. You could also get a red eyed tree frog, they're cool. :) Fanfoot geckos are cool, we have one at work, though they are fragile. Maybe a crested gecko. Geckos in general will be around the right size. Though some, like leopard geckos, can get very large. Frogs in general will do well in a ten gallon, if you want to do some kind of swamp-like setup. Newts are pretty cool for half land, half water. No matter how small they might look at a store, don't go for a chameleon. They're awesome, I love the one at work, but they need a mesh enclosure as they're prone to respiratory illness and related stress. Let's see... Oh yeah, a quick warning. Don't get hermit crabs. A coworker of mine has a trio of which the oldest is eighteen years old, and she can only get shells for them on the internet now for twenty bucks a pop, because they're huuuuuuuuge, and won't reuse a larger crab's shed shell.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #5 
shadowpony

Crested geckos are to large for a 10 gal. Leopards are ok in a 10.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That must be a really impressive hermit crab. I'd want one just to see how big I could get it. Go to Cuba and find some shells free. :D
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #7 
shadowpony

Olympia- most crabs get softball size and live 10-20 years if properly cared for. Cool, right?
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It is. The ones in stores are so tiny, one that big is just awesome.

What about some viper gecko? ^.^
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #9 
Nasha66

Thanks, I'll start a poll to see which of your suggestions I should use.
Nasha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #10 
PaintingPintos

If you want a really cool toad, go for an American Toad. A few years back at my cousin's house, I found a tiny American Toad. I named her Annabelle and since she was just too cute I took her all around the house with me xD
She was maybe 1 inch long and the best amphibian I've ever had. I would set up little Breyer horse jumps and make little racetracks for her to jump through....her cage was a mere 3 gallon Kritter Keeper. I had 4 inches of dirt in it, and since she always burrowed to the bottom of it every day, once I thought it would be cool to leave the lid off. Of course within 5 minutes she was gone and I was searching frantically through the house for her. I found her under the giant TV cabinet in the living room, sitting there. It was so funny, because when I lowered my eyes to her level, she was sitting right there with the seriousness only a toad can have. She was just the coolest pet ever xD She never even released water on me like most toads do ;D
I eventually let her go in my back yard because at some point she stopped eating and I just felt bad for her.
I'm not too big on newts anymore, but if I could any, it'd be a Chinese Firebelly newt....they're aquatic and amazing. If I could get any land newt, it'd be the California Newt.
If I could get any salamander, it would be the Spotted Salamander. I find them sometimes at my cousin's house, but we never keep them because they're so rare in that area.
As for reptiles......I don't know.
But if you want something you can look at but not touch, get a tree frog. Several years ago I caught a tiny .5 inch Spring Peeper, and I kept it in a 1 gallon Kritter Keeper with moss and some tiny bugs. I put it in the staircase while my mom and I watched a movie and suddenly there was loud, screaming chirping vibrating through the house....and it all came from that one, itty bitty male Spring Peeper. Pretty amazing, huh? Well if you get a tree frog, try to be sure it's not a male or you might end up with lots of noise xD
I still think you should get an American Toad, though.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote