Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Covering terra cotta pot hole?

I've heard of so many bettas that have been killed or injured trying to swim through the hole on the bottom of terra cotta pots. I bought one today and I'd like to cover the hole.

I was wondering- I have those glass marble things that go on the bottom of some tanks as substrate. If I take two of those, one on the inside of the pot and one of the outside/bottom and use hot glue in the middle, would that be safe for my bettas? I'm not sure if the hot glue can be used..?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

You've got the right idea, but hot glue is not good to use. Pet stores sell aquarium-safe silicone. Use that instead and your idea sounds great. Post pictures when you're done. I'm sure someone else could benefit from it, to..
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #3 
Chibi

I don't know if using hot glue is ok but to be safe, I think you should use the aquarium safe sealant for the job... :)
Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

I use aquarium sealant to make my own decor sometimes. I def recommend it. You can find it usually for under 7 dollars at petsmart. Make sure you let it dry for 24-48 hours before putting it in the tank.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Thanks everyone! I was going to get the sealant but it's kinda expensive at PETco and my mom doesn't like driving me all the way to petsmart. So I cut a piece of aquarium foam I already had and shoved it in there tightly. It seems secure and ready to go! Haha!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

Nice thinking. Maybe you could save up for the sealant anyways though. I have a blast messing around and making my own decor.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Yeah haha I have the $ and all it's just that I've spent so much money I'd rather wait until I have more. I started out saving all my money but then I got my Betta and it flew out the widow from there xD I love to make my own decor!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #8 
Kitty Whiskers

You could also take the plastic base off of an aquarium plant and push the plant through the hole a little bit so it looks like it is growing out from the hole in the back. Then you could put the base back on it if the end is pointy.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #9 
kfryman

I choose to just open the hole up, and it only took me a couple minutes. All I did was get a towel, hammer, and saftey glasses. You wrap the towel around the pot and in the opening, then set it between your legs (This is to prevent the shocks from going throughout the pot), make sure your glasses are on as pieces of the pot might fly up, and lightly tap around the hole. If it isn't breaking go a bit harder. Just don't go hard the first time as a hammer doesn't require much effort for it to break the pot.

I had the pot with my very young male for quite some time and even with one of my females with no problem at all.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #10 
littlemermaid

I thought my girls were to big to get stuck and the day I changed their tank around and left the holes uncovered poor Annabel Lee got stuck and was gone before I found her :( Now the holes are stuffed with plants to keep the rest of my girls safe and happy.
littlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote