Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 
lvandert

Angry The Pea Treatment Rant

I am so sick and tired of hear this "I've given him the frozen/cooked pea treatment but his bloating isn't going away." Ok the pea treatment DOES NOT WORK FOR BETTAS. If your betta is bloated try frozen daphnia of epsom salt not peas. Bettas are carnivores and don't handle plant matter too well. I seriously want to find the person that started that whole thing and string them up by their toes and force grass down their throats...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Thanks for clearing it up. I believed the pea thing at first, but I noticed a few people mentioning how bad peas are and how good daphnia is. It's great to know for future reference :3
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Species info crossovers... Once you get into more heavy fish research you realize it happens a lot in the hobby.. Not a lot of science work is done on fish. Medication info is often crossed over through different fish genus, for example salt treatments are not a good idea for most fish...
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 
lvandert

I've read it so many times and heard just horror stories about bloats I had to rant about it. It drives me nuts, of all of the useless information pet store people have spread around I think this is by far the worst!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Again, it's not pet store info, it's the fact that this is an excellent treatment for bloating. Cross over to betta, it's not. But our limited resources prevent much experimentation (and then again who wants to feed cute betta a bunch of peas and cut em open to see what's going on? D:)
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

It kind of reminds me of back when betta's first got popular. Back when that whole betta vase thing was happening more often. "Betta's eat vegitation and will eat on the roots, you don't need to feed them"

My mom works for an old folks home. One of the residents daughters brought in one of these vases and acted like a betta expert. I wish I could have seen it. She actually told my mom that I was caring for my fish wrong and that she (my mom) was pronouncing the name wrong. "It's bey-ta not bet-tah" Is something worth arguing about? I pronounce it bet-tah so what? I pronounce it that way because it's a fish and not a greek letter. Lol. I don't care how others pronounce it. You say Tomato....

Needless to say this woman replaces the fish every few months.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
It kind of reminds me of back when betta's first got popular. Back when that whole betta vase thing was happening more often. "Betta's eat vegitation and will eat on the roots, you don't need to feed them"

My mom works for an old folks home. One of the residents daughters brought in one of these vases and acted like a betta expert. I wish I could have seen it. She actually told my mom that I was caring for my fish wrong and that she (my mom) was pronouncing the name wrong. "It's bey-ta not bet-tah" Is something worth arguing about? I pronounce it bet-tah so what? I pronounce it that way because it's a fish and not a greek letter. Lol. I don't care how others pronounce it. You say Tomato....

Needless to say this woman replaces the fish every few months.
Funny I googled "how to pronounce Betta" and even online dictionaries agree with BET-TAH.

Wow People are so stupid. A friend of mine has a Betta in a bowl and I tried nicely explaining to her their needs (I mean they ARE tropical fish) and she told me "oh well the pet store person told me this.." so theres no hope convincing. Wouldn't listen- thinks the pet store person is the bomb diggety.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

Yea, you can talk all you want to some people and they just won't listen. Even if they don't what counts is you try. Maybe one day when they catch on how long a bet-tah (haha) can live if treated right they will catch on.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Feeding a small piece of Pea is NOT harmful to a Betta IMO/E.....

You don't want to feed Pea to your Betta as part of the staple diet-but small amounts on occasion for constipation will not hurt them.

You are what you eat......Betta get veggie matter in their diet normally from the gut contents of the food they eat as well as when they graze in algae, plants etc... feeding on the microorganism that colonize on them.

Fish have lots of enzymes and gastric acid in the gut that breaks the food items down for digestion-Since they have a short GI tract large amounts of veggie matter can pass faster without being properly absorbed-but some is absorbed and nutrition used.

Same with soaking of food-while pellets will swell up in water=they don't swell up like that in gastric acid and enzymes in the GI tract-they get soft and start to break down...

Lots and lots of myths all over the internet.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #10 
Laki

Wait... It's pronouned Bett-tah?? o.o
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote