Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #1 
bhali333

Watta you get? DT-M x CT-F

Hey guy's,

I'm not new to fish breeding, have bred angel fish and guppies in the past but I am brand new to Betta breeding and I am about to attempt my first spawn.

I would like to know what you would get if you cross a Delta male X Crown Tail female.

I'm pretty sure you will get pot luck but I am wondering if either trait is dominant?

Bruce
bhali333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhali333 View Post
Hey guy's,

I'm not new to fish breeding, have bred angel fish and guppies in the past but I am brand new to Betta breeding and I am about to attempt my first spawn.

I would like to know what you would get if you cross a Delta male X Crown Tail female.

I'm pretty sure you will get pot luck but I am wondering if either trait is dominant?

Bruce
It's best to breed 2 of the same breeds together at first then when you get better at it, start experimenting with tail types
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #3 
VictorP

Dt stands for Double tail Delta would be DeT and from what I have been reading you would get combtails. Kadenjames doesn't recommend crossing tail types unless you are breeding Dt in your line for fins.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

It all depends on your goal.

Always remember that long fins are dominant over short fins. Though in this case, you will get lots of VTs and few deltas with small ray extension. IMO, messy fins and undesireable fish. So in this case, the delta is the dominant gene, the lower the number of branching is the more dominant the tail type is.

I would say to focus more on HMPK (what I focus most on), HM, and CT seems to be in high demand now. Also looking for a quality pair is very important. Without a quality pair, you will be giving yourself much more work than you should be starting with.

When crossing tail types you have to be very careful and know what you're doing because if you don't, you can end up with a bunch if fish with no homes. If you're going to cross tail types I would usually cross only HMPK to HM to get manageable finnage so they aren't too long or too short. Another cross that will help would be carefully breeding rosetails to other HMs to help with more branching.

Those are just examples.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #5 
KadenJames

+1 BL

Crossing a delta and a crown would give you pretty suckish fish. (Form and quality wise, anyways.) As BettaLover said, you'd have trouble finding homes for them. The #1 outsource for getting rid of spawns is connecting with other breeders and having them purchase from you. No breeder in their right mind would ever buy a DeTxCT, ESPECIALLY if they are pet store fish. You should know the genetic history of the fish you plan to spawn.

I also recommend starting with HMPK- they are very hardy, and don't have the long fins to nibble on, get caught on, or get weighted down by. IMHO they're more aggressive looking. >=)
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Yes. HMPKs are also much more stubborn fish and have less health risks including fin rot (not meaning they never get it or can't get it), tailbiting, their fins are much less likely to be getting caught in anything like a share edge or also as kaden said, they aren't weighed down. They are very nice and IMO much better to handle in smaller conditions when stocking, Halfmoons require much more space such as bigger barracks or containment.

Not only are Halfmoon Plakats more aggressive 'looking', but they are more aggressive when spawning. Since they don't have any fins holding them back, the males can also in most cases 'speed up' the spawning time. I've found that using less hiding spaces for them usually gave me a spawn in a maximum number of 3 days and if they don't spawn after the fourth day, I recondition.
Posted via Mobile Device
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #7 
KadenJames

I also love that you have three varieties to choose from- traditional, asymmetrical and symmetrical. All so challenging in their own ways, and all are gorgeous.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

But I love the long finned Half moons!! The Plakets are OK, but give me a true Half moon any day!!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Never mix two tail types together unless there's a goal in mind.

HM x HMPK are good crosses to strengthen fins in HM. DT to any tail type will increase width of dorsal. CT and VT will screw things up due to their dominance factor.

Unfortunately bettas do not adhere to traditional genetics very well -_-
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote