Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #1 
cjconcepcion

Unhappy Popeye

Three days ago, I rescued a crowntail betta from petsmart with popeye. He is in a 1 gallon heated hospital tank and is currently being treated with maracyn, the only other thing added to the water is prime. Ive been treating for three days but im not sure if it is/should be improving. His overall condition seems to be deteriorating, labored breathing, very lethargic, hasnt eaten anything since i got him, isnt responding to movement, but still responds to being touched. today he started doing this "sitting up" thing, im not sure if this should mean anything? any advice on what else i could do to help the little guy?

btw this isnt the tank im keeping him in... i put him in there during his daily water change and it made it easier to get a good picture
Attached Images

cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.
I'm not sure about the sitting up thing though.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maracyn, pop eye