Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #471 
Chesh

That would make me nervous, too! Sparky is a deep sleeper. . . wonder if he snores?
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #472 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Atilla? That name seems to go either way, even though it was a guy . . . Atilla the Sparky!

By the way, I'm not Sparky's favorite person right now. Sometimes I find him just bobbing there and I get worried he's dead so I poke him with a net. I've done that 3 times in 2 days now. He really looks like an inanimate sausage when he doesn't move.

Which hours and under what luminosity? Catfish are nocturnal by nature. Durring the day he will find a place and stay there immobile. I had one of those for a short time and believe it or not he jumped out of the tank (though it was much much smaller than sparky).

EDIT: You might want to consider fastening him a bit he is a glutton as i can see from the pics.

Last edited by Pilot00; 08-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #473 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
He just looks at me and I can't even see his gills moving. Scares the life out of me. I'm always like, "Nooooo, the people on the forum will kill me if you die!" I mean, aside from the obvious fact that I'd be devastated if something happened to the Sparkster. He's just so . . . Sparky!
Sakura, as Sparky's care taker, you'd be a huge target if something happened to him. Like Michael Jackson's doctor.

We've been talking about a fish that does nothing for almost 50 pages now.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #474 
Sakura8

Pilot, knowing he was nocturnal, I almost never turn his tank light on. He gets some dim light filtered in through the windows in the garage door and of course light when anyone is out in the garage with the light turned on but other than that, his habitat is kept quite dim.

And do you have any recommendations on how much to feed him? I've never been able to get a conclusive answer from my LFS. Currently, he's on a 2/2 Hikari Massivore Nugget diet but the amount really has bounced around, from 2 every other day to 5 a day and all over the food map. I've never fed a fish this big. o.O I feel like 2 isn't enough but 4 is maybe too much . . .

Olympia, I know. I can feel the pressure already with my fat little celebrity. It's only a matter of time before Sparky gets to make a whisker imprint at the Hollywood walk of fame.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #475 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well from what I know about bichir, even adults should be fed daily. I think, 2 a day is good.. Or maybe 2 in the morning 1 in the evening. Those pellets seem so small from the video though, it's weird that he's chubbed up so much.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #476 
Sakura8

But then, the electocat in the Berlin zoo looked pretty fat and he had a huge tank to swim around in.

Maybe they're just . . . fat fish?

I might try the 3 a day route, I guess. He just inhales them. I mean, literally. You know how his mouth is shaped like a vacuum cleaner nozzle? *whooosh* Sucks in all the food in the general area.

The LFS was like, "Just feed him as much as he'll eat in a few minutes."

If I did that, he'd be a Sparky Blimp.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #477 
Pilot00

I wouldnt feed him twice a day. Can you post a pic to see whether his belly is normal or not?

I have been feeding mine once at noon/early night.
They are a carnivorus species but can eat everything provided you train it. The food you throw him is good, i have kept mine on it, they also eat bloodworms and beef heart. They have the goldfish syndrome (will eat until explodes) more so if it has ever hunted in the past and now depends on you to feed it.

They indeed grow fat easily but their form is sleek.

EDIT: As far as i know there is no standard on how much to feed them, they will eat anything and everything on every amount. The only constant must be high protein because they are carnivora. If you see he is turning too fat reduce the amount and fasten him for 2-4 days. They can last for 15-20 days (when well fed previously) without food. I had mine left for 20 days each August for 4 years and he didnt even loose weight. They are strange thingies.

Last edited by Pilot00; 08-09-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #478 
Sakura8

Sparky is a picky eater. -___- I would prefer if he ate nice cheap frozen foods like beefheart and bloodworms but he has so far ignored everything but the pellets. The expensive pellets.

All the best shots of his fat belly are in the videos scattered throughout the thread.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #479 
Pilot00

He has a belly but i wouldnt call him overfed. You might consider leaving him for a day each week without food. He probably was used to the pelets thats why he wont eat anything else.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #480 
Sakura8

They told me at the LFS that he ate bloodworms and krill too but he's refused those also.

I can certainly fast him once a week (probably should've been doing so all along). I'm just a little concerned because he seems to be getting fatter but not longer. He's about 7.5" now.