Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #551 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Haha, a maze. That would actually be pretty cool but then I'd probably never see the little dude. I kinda liked it when he had the intake tube in his tunnel so he was out in the open.
Make it out of clear plastic! (Wait.. do they have clear plastic PVC?)
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #552 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hamster tubessss.
Except.. I don't know if he'd fit in those. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #553 
Sakura8

He's too faaaaat for a hamster tube. He'd need like . . . a guinea pig tube. I have a plastic store in town, I should see if they have clear PVC. I know I want some when I finally am able to get a black ghost knife.

*pictures Sparky pushing a super bouncy ball through a clear pipe maze*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #554 
Chesh

Hey!!! Taz posted up this 6 part documentary on cichlids - you might be interested in checking out the last segment for some adorable electric catfish vs otter action - the cats come in at around the 2 minute mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02Nxa_V7Q4&feature=plcp"]Jewels Of The Rift 6/6 (Cichlid Documentary) - YouTube[/ame]

*giggle* Poor otters. . .

". . . with feeble fins, bilious skin, and piggy eyes, it's not much of a looker, but in it's own way, it's stunning."

What a mean thing to say! This dude has never met ol' Sparks, who brings adorable into that equation for sure!!!

Last edited by Chesh; 08-28-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #555 
thekoimaiden

It's awesome to see one of these guys in the wild! And even there they are chubby. I guess there is no hope for poor Sparky.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #556 
Sakura8

Otters! So cute! "What's this? Ouch! Looks edible! Ouch!"

Aww, I wish my tank was big enough that Sparky could swim freely like that. Sparky's much cuter than that guy. He has pinky red skin, not brown. :D

Sparky, genetics apparently say you are doomed to forever look like a fat sausage with whiskers instead of say, a sleek broom handle.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #557 
Sakura8

Just a quick update on Mr. Pudgy Fins. He has a new tankmate: a medium-sized trapdoor snail. And surprises, he hasn't eaten or zapped it yet! Yay! I'd love it if he could have a fish someday. I may try a bala shark or a silver dollar or a kissing gourami. We'll see. These days, Sparkster spends most of his time just chillin'. The weather's been decent so his tank is just right. But he seems to be getting fatter. I'm beginning to wonder if he IS a she.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #558 
Chesh

What if he IS a she and SHE is pregnant!!?
I know I know. . . but let me dream for a second, k?
Cuz' then there'd be, like, zillions of tiny little Sparklings running around everywhere. . .d'aaaaaw! And we could ALL have one, and keep it, and love it, and name it Spark. . . something. And they'd be soooo cute and we'd squeeze them, but they'd zap us, so we wouldn't, cuz' they're fishes. . .

But... okay, I'm about to betray (again) the fact that I know nothing about fish. But. . . catfish lay eggs, right? Do they get chubbier when they're, like, getting ready or anything - full of roe - regardless of a male being present? My frog does. Frogs and catfish are JUST the same, neh? Just. Exactly. The same. . . *pokes Sparky's tum* I wish he had a bellybutton. He'd be THAT much cuter. . .

Oh! And congrats on the roomie - does he/she/it (this is the tank where you put creatures of dubious gender) have a name yet?
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #559 
Sakura8

Supposedly electocats make a burrow in the mud and lay their eggs in it. Poor Sparky doesn't have enough sand to burrow in. But wouldn't that be so cute? Squeee! Little electocats! Aww, now I want a huge pond so I can breed these guys.

I have no idea how electocats work regarding eggs and being fat. I just know that in the majority of fish species, the females are drabber than males but larger. Sparkster is definitely pudgy. Yesterday he tried to squeeze under the branches of his fake mangrove root and almost got stuck. It was too funny watching him thrash his way free.

So far, the snail goes from being named Present to Missing and back to Present. And I'm not sure if I just never noticed all the pond snails or if the snail promptly gave birth to a bunch of babies because I seem to notice a LOT more baby snails in there. At least Sparky makes a good babysitter.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #560 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

He's letting his minions multiply so he can lead them into battle... Against... land cats.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote