betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #51 
dbooknook

You are so adorably confusing, Sparky!
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #52 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awwwwwwwww. He's different, that's for sure!
Was he.. Squishy? xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #53 
teeneythebetta

Awwwww :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #54 
Chesh

Oooh! Scary!

Glad that went well, I'd be so nervous keeping an electric fish!!! Glad you didn't get (or perhaps feel) a shock.

Judging by his reaction, I bet he'd be easy to hand-feed, and if he's gonna act all uber territorial about his food, it might not be a bad idea to do so - cuz' then he'd see your hand as a food-bringing friend and not a rival. But. . .that's a SCARY thought, cuz' I don't WANT you to get zapped by your fish!!! I wish there was a way to put him in a battery charger and check his output somehow!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #55 
Sakura8

Olympia, his sausage body looks like it might be squishy but he has kind of a hard head. He's like a little battering ram. With whiskers.

Chesherca, I asked my dad if we had a voltometer thingee but he said it wasn't waterproof. :( But I think you may be on to something about the hand-feeding idea. Maybe if he learns to see my hand but not actually take food from it. I do find that I have to reach into the tank fairly often to replace things that he's knocked off. He knocks the filter intake off a lot and he also knocked the heater out of its holder.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #56 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I hear that happens a lot with big fish. They do have shatter proof heaters if that's a concern, I know people that keep oscars use them.
I wonder if electrocuting himself would just make him stronger.. Like in pokemon... xD

For the voltmeter, stick a metal rod near him and test it on the rod.. Obviously hold onto it with a rubber part. Lol. That might work. But maybe he only gives off electricity when he's mad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #57 
Sakura8

Yeah, it's a Fluval M heater so it probably can break if he knocks it around hard enough. One of my LFS has little plastic cages you can put around them. I just need to remember to pick one up tomorrow. I keep going there and forgetting.

I might try that. I really am curious to see how much electricity he puts off. He never really looks mad. Mostly he looks like he's laying there going, "Derrrrrrr."
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #58 
Chesh

OMG! Can you imagine that cute little *ahem* BIG thing with a PISSED OFF LOOK!!!? Nooooo, he must maintain his cutesy expression at all times - even when doling out tiny slices of death... the only problem with the hand training thing is. . . what if he just. . . electrocutes his food EVERY TIME? Like. . . just for fun. Without even thinking about it. Wouldn't they in nature? Maybe NOT the best idea!!!

ROFL, LIMPI!!! POKEMON!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #59 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hahah.
Yea, my python still constricts his dead mice every time he eats. Just let it go before he reaches you. ;)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #60 
Sakura8

Yeah, some guy in an article I read online mentioned he handfed his electocat until he held onto the earthworm too long and got zapped.