Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #651 
thekoimaiden

Oh no!! You're usually the one we go to with sick fish questions. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice. Byron might know someone who could offer advice. I hope the chubby little guy gets better. Sending positive thoughts your way! <3
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #652 
Sakura8

Thanks, Izzy. I've been doing some research and it looks like Melafix may be a better choice than an antibiotic right now. It's weird, being a betta person, I always avoid Melafix. o.O

He's not so hyper today and is just resting in his tunnel. I don't know if that's good or bad.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #653 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sakura, try looking up info on medicating naked catfish (synodontis family) for tips...
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #654 
Sakura8

Naked catfish. Got it. Thanks, Olympia.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #655 
Chesh

NAKED!!!

Poor Sparky! We shall leave him NO dignity!!!

. . . I hope you find the info you need to help poor Sparky. . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #656 
Sakura8

Maybe the thought of having his dignity stripped away did something to him. Either way, he ate 4 of his 5 pellets tonight and I think the only reason he missed the 5th one was because he was laying on it. Will still put Melafix in when I can get it, just to make sure that eye doesn't get seriously infected.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #657 
Chesh

I've used Melafix and Pimafix with loaches and my wild-caught tetra before with no harm - snails, too. Many people treat it like it isn't a 'real' medication, but in my experience it helps - and you can use both at the same time. I know loaches and catfish aren't the same, but. . . *shrugs* I hope it helps the poor little baby out! I feel so bad for him. . . HUZZAH for eating though! Keep up the good work!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #658 
Sakura8

That's great to know, Chesh. Thanks! Now I feel better about using Melafix and I think to keep him happy, I'll just medicate him in his 55gal, snails and all. I guess, if some snails go belly up . . . oh well. Better the snails than our swimming sausage.

I know the "fixes" aren't really great for internal problems but I've heard they are wonderful for external issues and I'm hoping that's all Sparky's eye is.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #659 
Chesh

I'm glad I could help you feel better about using it - despite my lack of catfish knowledge. I really hope it helps him. . . and aren't those pretty little Pearlies Ramshorns? I don't think ANYTHING can kill Ramshorns - unless you REALLY want them dead! You could always pull a handfull of 'em out and pop 'em in a jar just to have a backup. . . I've had a few Ramshorns that rode in on plants living in a jar with a bit of sand, a nano marimo ball, and some duckweed for MONTHS, lol! They're just sitting on my desk, being snails . . . don't seem to mind much of anything! Just hope it works on that adorably beady little eye! C'MON, SPARKY! FIGHT!

Last edited by Chesh; 11-06-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #660 
Sakura8

What do you guys think that whiteish mark is? I have a heater guard so I don't think it's a burn but it's also not oozy like a cut. Just a natural mark? I hope?
Attached Images