Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #1 
copperarabian

Earthquake log for members

I just felt a earthquake, and then it suddenly hit me that we should have a thread for them. For people that live in earthquake country we feel them pretty often.

I'm not sure the size of this one, but it probably wasn't very big because the epicenter was super close to my house.

Mon, 25-Jun-2012 1:13am

15 km ( 9 mi) N of Morgan Hill, CA

Magnitude not posted yet
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #2 
copperarabian

Magnitude information was just posted

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

yet another thing I do NOT miss about Alaska - Earthquakes! Most were tiny jolts but one was a 7.9 and another was a 6.5

Here is a link to the Alaska Earthquake Info Center. The map and the top of the page are all Alaska quakes but if you scroll to the bottom there are links for California, Hawaii, Nevada, Western Canada, ect.

http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/recent/macsub/index.html

When Japan had the big one last year, the page was flooded with reading from japan and all the aftershocks.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-25-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #4 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
yet another thing I do NOT miss about Alaska - Earthquakes! Most were tiny jolts but one was a 7.9 and another was a 6.5

Here is a link to the Alaska Earthquake Info Center. The map and the top of the page are all Alaska quakes but if you scroll to the bottom there are links for California, Hawaii, Nevada, Western Canada, ect.

http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/recent/macsub/index.html

When Japan had the big one last year, the page was flooded with reading from japan and all the aftershocks.
When I went on a cruise to Alaska we had like 3 tsunami warnings from a fault off the coast, luckily no tsunami's happened but it was a bit scary. Each of the quakes which caused the alarm where at least 6.0. Alaska is crazy XD
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was in an earthquake in Los Angeles years ago. It was a 5.6 I think. The one we had here a few years ago was a 5.3.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Tsunami .... since the gigantic tsunami in Aceh (far north of the Sumatera Island), it's been haunting us. Though some wouldn't admit it, yet the fear of a tsunami follows every earthquake ever since.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I imagine tsunamis are pretty darn scary.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #8 
copperarabian

Oh tsunami's are scary, I've never experienced one before but seeing video and photos of them show how terrifying they can be. I remember sitting with my older sister flipping through the channels when we happened to pass the news showing japans recent one.

When ever I visit Kauai my parents and I can't believe people would live right next to the beach or in the tsunami zone, I just couldn't risk it.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #9 
eaturbyfill

I live in Tennessee, so we don't really get earthquakes.. That would be so scary. o_o
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Quote:
When I went on a cruise to Alaska we had like 3 tsunami warnings from a fault off the coast, luckily no tsunami's happened but it was a bit scary. Each of the quakes which caused the alarm where at least 6.0. Alaska is crazy XD
EeeK. At least Fairbanks was 400 miles inland so no tusnami warnings for me, but i hated the earthquakes. The fact that they can;t be predicted is what freaks me out. Plus I had a fear that there would be a bad one and my dog would be trapped someplace without me. Plus all my fishie tanks would fall off the shelves

I had a Malamute/wolf mix named Rosie and I swear she could somehow sense when a quake was coming. Everytime she had an "episode" with her head shaking (kinda like a seizure), there was a quake shortly after.

Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote