Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #1 
BETTACHKALOVE

Gold fish care

My coworker bright gold fish . Her daughter had some kind of project in school , which i hate. They tried to see how long fish can survive. So she was fine for a few days, she ate and was active.
I have 8 bettas , i never had any other fish so i thought that i have to do just what i do for bettas. Change the water put drops...She was fine for one day and then she looked like she don't have enough air. She was on the all day long and open her mouth..now she don't eat and on the bottom.

She is in one gall . She lived through Friday- Monday. But she looks like she is dying.

How can i help her? Does she has lock of the oxygen? Please don't tell me i need bigger tank, fish on my table at work. I can't take her home.

Thank you.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #2 
shadowpony

Betta and goldfish care are very different. I'm putting together a little sheet on their care for you.

TANK SIZE:

I'm assuming you have a regular comet goldfish. For that, you'll need a 100 gallon or a pond (preferred). These fish get HUGE and are extremely active. The longert the tank the better.

ARIATION:

This is as simple as a bubble wall or airstone with an airline tube and an air pump. You can use bubbling decor too.

FILTRATION:

Use a canister filter and with a high gallon per hour rating and double the capacity (200 gallon filter for a 100 gallon tank). Goldfish poop like crazy.

WATER CHANGES:

For a tank, 50% a week should suffice. I have no idea for ponds. Test your water frequently.

TEMPATURE:

65 to 70, they can survive the extremes.

FOOD:

Pelleted food made by a good brand like Hikari.

TANKMATES:

NO plecos, algea eaters or sucker catfish. Other comets are your best bet.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #3 
BETTACHKALOVE

It very sad i think she is dying.

I think i am too late she is dying. I though i can go at my brake time (i am at work) and buy her something for the oxygen like you wrote air tube.

It too late? I feel horrible...I am pretty successful with bettas i though this poor goldfish will live long life just like my bettas...

She was pretty happy first few days ....

Thank you :(
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

She still alive on the bottom of the tank barely breading . If i will go to but air tube is it going to help her?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 
shadowpony

I'm very sorry about your fish. The air-stone may help. Comets are hardy. Good luck.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Shadowpony is right; care for goldfish and bettas is very different. It sounds like your comet is dieing of ammonia poisoning. Goldfish produce a lot of waste for their size, and in a tank that small, the ammonia will build up to toxic levels very fast. A higher level of oxygenation will work, but it's not going to do much. A single goldfish in a 1 gal tank will not survive long. I'm sorry, but you're going to loose that fish very soon. Euthanasia may be the most humane option.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

Thank you guys she died. I never had gold fish and this one just was from my coworker. I did buy a air pump but it too late :(
Those little creatures breaking my heart.
Thank you everyone.