Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Desert Iguanas

So we got two really cool lookin' fellas...

Except there is a problem :/

These fellas are Long Term Captives, meaning they were wild caught initially.

They should be more active between April and March, but remain active until the winer months.

They should be fed vegetables, such as Romaine, dandelions, assortment of other greens, fruits, and flowers like Perennials and rose petals.

However the person before us owned them for 2 years, for their son who didn't know anything about them (actually, not many people do!) and they were being fed nothing but crickets. We are pretty sure BOTH are males, which can be very dangerous during the mating season... One of the iguana's tails (picture shows in my hand) has had re-growth, along with a missing toe, and the other MIGHT have a little black mite, or a wood sliver, or something in his belly.

They were being fed ONLY crickets.

Now they refuse all greens, no matter how they are given... Wrapped around or under a cricket, they throw it up! They won't touch it.... And they are vegeterians, but CAN be given crickets or mealworms very very occassionally. We don't want to encourage them eating crickets...

One of them is very underweight (the one in my hand), as the other IS the alpha male, and the diet is VERY bad for them.

They are very very lazy, even at night (they should be more active later in the day, and into the night)

Anyone have ANY experience with them? The only vet that MIGHT know what to do, is 6 hours away. Desert Iguanas are EXTREMELY rare in Alberta, and aren't found much in Canada anyways... Mainly some regions in USA and MEXICO.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #2 
Laki

Hm those are nice looking iguanas!!
I would say only offer veggies and no crickets because no healthy creature will not willingly starve to death. Perhaps they'll eat it eventually??
Or (and her me out here bc it's nasty) get some of the freeze dried crickets and grind them up to a powder and coat some lettuce and veggies in the cricket powder until they're weaned off crickets???
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp - Lighting - Lighting - PetSmart
^ This. I cannot stress enough, this is the single most important thing these lizards need right now. If they haven't had UVA/B lighting they are in serious trouble, they need it to use vitamin D. Do some heavy research into brands, that was the first example I found.. Some of the brands are freaking expensive and don't last very long, so you want to get a brand that people say lasts a good time for the price. For desert lizards you will need a high rating, like 10.0 on that one.

Wikipedia says they are attracted to yellow. Try something yellow. Try yellow pansy flowers, I know they are safe for people but double check if people use it for lizards. If you can find a list of lizard safe veggies and such, go for things that seem meatier. Or you can try and find some sort of pellet/goo food that has things mixed. Like blended veggies and crickets. sounds good.

What kind of set up do they have? Desert lizards are among the most difficult lizards to keep healthy... Needs to be hot hot hot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Yup they have UVB hahahha. HAHHAHA Olympia we JUST picked dandelions and BOTH snatched it!!! xD I thought...well...I read they like color...so.... color. -dandelions ... -snatched- o_o

Set up: they came from a 30... tall... Now they have a wider, longer cage set up, with a log hide out, sand, ventilation, water dish (large...?) leaves, and a good ol' heat lamp =D

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 06-25-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well, it's a start! Haha, good old attraction to pretty colors! You have something to work with now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #6 
Laki

xD they like yellow :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

So now... we will be trying colorful foods. xD They refuse all green Which is why they have a water dish that is larger, because they are not really getting their water source in their foods. :/ Poor babies. THIS is why wild should remain wild, and THIS is why many people should never own a single pet. Not even a fish.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Do you know when their breeding season is? I'd watch for that.
I know these guys are small, but aggression is huge with other iguanas at this time.. Usually it's a good idea to release this tension by.. Giving them, something, to do it with... Read "transference" from this link.. Hahahahah.
Dealing With Male Green Iguana Breeding Aggression
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Breding season statrts March, and they breed by May =D I found that hehe. Especially since we THINK they are both males.

Is anyone here able to sex iguanas? I can take pictures of their undersides.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

First underside is the small iguana, second is the larger one. o_o We THINK they are male xD
Attached Images