Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

My heart died!!

There is a 3 and a half month old german shepherd, who's a runt and has "serious sight problems".

AND MY HEART DIED!!! D: Lol!! He is the cutest freaking thing ever!!
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.................. look at that face! He's adorable.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I know right?! I died when I saw it lol. I told them if they couldn't find a home, I'd willingly take him - just use my dog as a "guide dog" for that dog xD For outdoors and such lol... That would be so funny seeing a lil' dog guiding a soon-to-be-large dog
Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #4 
shadowpony

Ugh. I JUST fixed my Cute-O-Meter! It burst again! Thanks.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

You're welcome xD
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

The lady sounds very positive about me having the pup. She has been breeding German Shepherds for over 20 years, and he is the first blind pup she has had! Some people were saying that it was "only right" to euthanise him, but she won't. She wants him to have a chance!

My plan:

Uhh....the coffee table will have to go. I handmade it, and it's a very unique, tree stump table!!

Training: Making a home base. I may only let him be in the upstairs, therefore the door should be home base. If he gets confused, I can take him to home base, and we can do it all over again.

Sound: I'll get Gurgi in on this one. Bells! Who doesn't love bells? He'll be able to hear Gurgi.

Smell: Anything in the "danger" zone I will have a soft scent like vanilla on it, so he knows there is something there!

More training: Dogs are smart. Especially german shepherds. He'll be taught words like step up, sit, stay, wait, easy, down, left, right, etc.

Outdoors: For walking, it will be a bit more difficult... But once he knows where I am, he shouldn't worry about wandering into me or anything. Dogs are good for that (sometimes!). Gurgi may also be "tethered" to him, while on walks... Meaning that lovely short clasp/rope that allows you to walk two dogs safely on one leash? We might try it.

Furniture: don't touch anything. Leave it. >.>
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Make sure that you can see his parents hips and elbow results and not just go by what the lady says even if she has been breeding 20 years. Also know what the scores mean as I'm not sure what number is considered 'bad' over there.

While in well-bred shepherds dysplasia is pretty rare nowadays it can still crop up and is not something you want to have to deal with.

We have always feed extra calcium to our GS puppies to get their ears up. When they teeth their ears will sometimes go floppy so don't panic too much. Shepherds should also be kept fairly lean as like all big dogs it is bad for them to be carrying too much weight, particularly as puppies. You do not want a roly poly puppy. It is better to be slightly underweight while growing than slightly overweight.

Have no idea about the blindness thing as I have never had a blind dog before.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Well, both parents are 100 pound(ish)... That's all I know xD

She feeds him all raw meats, no actual dog food. For Gurgi I feed very good dog food and raw meats...

I think I have seen one badly bred german shepherd... His body was too long, hips too wide, front end too tall, and body wasn't the best form either. His ears were too set apart, and nose too long -.- (and he became a service dog? A fake one, actually, will a temperment problem!)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

100 pounds sounds pretty heavy for shepherds. Our female who is all muscle and is 59cm tall (so only 2cm under the maximum height for females) is only 60 or so pounds. Even our big gawky male is not much heavier.

There's plenty of badly bred shepherds out there. We see them come to dog club and our dog before the ones we have now was pure backyard crap. Half her litter and the sire died from health issues and due to her build she managed to get bloat and die.

Bloat is also a big killer of shepherds so make sure you take precautions to avoid it. We feed twice a day instead of once and you should always wait at least an hour and a half to two hours before and after feeding in regards to exercise.

Also sometimes people make the mistake of thinking that because GS puppies are fairly big they can do a lot of walking and exercise early on. You just have to remember they are still just big babies and you don't want to damage joints.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I feed my pup twice a day =D then we laze around after lol!! I tend to walk during the afternoon.

Well, he is a runt, so I highly doubt he'd be more than 60, he might be as small as 40 unfortunately... But we'll have to see.

Oh...he has never been on a leash. o_o