Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #41 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGita View Post
I feed New Life Spectrum for Bettas.
They float for a minute or two but I hand feed one pellet at a time so I know no food left uneaten.
Just wanted to let you know the betta in your avatar is a ringer for mine ... are they related?!
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #42 
MsGita

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiger75 View Post
Just wanted to let you know the betta in your avatar is a ringer for mine ... are they related?!
Perhaps, does yours like to attack fingers like mine does? lol

Side note...Lebron had mentioned in an earlier post that Hikari had changed their ingredients. Today I received a shipment of Hikari Goldfish pellets and I checked the listed ingredients and they too had changed. All the ingredients are crap, nothing but cheap fillers. So if use Hikari for any type of fish beware. How did a quality company go down hill so fast? Such a shame.
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #43 
tpocicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Where do you find the "Attison's" ? I never heard of those ones!
I buy Attisons off of the International Betta Congress site. You don't have to be a member to buy from them.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #44 
teeneythebetta

And for those learning about reading the ingredients labels on your betta's food... Take a look at the other food you feed your pets as well.

You don't want to see by products, wheat, corn, soy, rice, and "meat meal" is less desirable(although meal is betta than by product)
You want the first ingredients to be meat (ex: chicken, beef, etc)

Don't fee anything fish-based, it is too high in salt and mercury.
Good brands for dogs/cat's are wellness, blue buffalo, innova.

http://www.catinfo.org - best cat nutrition website ever!!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #45 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
And for those learning about reading the ingredients labels on your betta's food... Take a look at the other food you feed your pets as well.

You don't want to see by products, wheat, corn, soy, rice, and "meat meal" is less desirable(although meal is betta than by product)
You want the first ingredients to be meat (ex: chicken, beef, etc)

Don't fee anything fish-based, it is too high in salt and mercury.
Good brands for dogs/cat's are wellness, blue buffalo, innova.

http://www.catinfo.org - best cat nutrition website ever!!
True about the wheat and corn and all that, but actually you DO want a meat meal to be the first ingredient, but ONLY if it is a specified meat (such as "chicken meal" or "herring meal"). You don't want generic meals like "fish meal" or " poultry meal" because that is just a hodge podge of left over animal parts.

Whole meats are not a bad product, but after cooking, they loose about 80% of their weight because they are mostly water. So it may look like a lot when it's at the top of the ingredients list, but after the food is cooked there is really only a fraction of the ingredient left, so it's actually further down the ingredients list than you might think.

EDIT: though I must add, for wet canned foods, whole meats are better

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 07-24-2012 at 04:07 PM.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #46 
craiger75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGita View Post
Perhaps, does yours like to attack fingers like mine does? lol

Side note...Lebron had mentioned in an earlier post that Hikari had changed their ingredients. Today I received a shipment of Hikari Goldfish pellets and I checked the listed ingredients and they too had changed. All the ingredients are crap, nothing but cheap fillers. So if use Hikari for any type of fish beware. How did a quality company go down hill so fast? Such a shame.
Nah, he just likes to say "hello." If my fingers get too close he swims off.

Hmmm, I just got my new bag of Bio-Gold, so I'll have to keep an eye on the next batch. That is unfortunate, although I have bottles of food he's barely touched yet - lol.
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #47 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
True about the wheat and corn and all that, but actually you DO want a meat meal to be the first ingredient, but ONLY if it is a specified meat (such as "chicken meal" or "herring meal"). You don't want generic meals like "fish meal" or " poultry meal" because that is just a hodge podge of left over animal parts.

Whole meats are not a bad product, but after cooking, they loose about 80% of their weight because they are mostly water. So it may look like a lot when it's at the top of the ingredients list, but after the food is cooked there is really only a fraction of the ingredient left, so it's actually further down the ingredients list than you might think.

EDIT: though I must add, for wet canned foods, whole meats are better
This is true.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #48 
MSG

TTB,

Thank for the info about the odor of NLS, I'm not going to buy any NOW.

I usually pour the pellets in the palm of my hand then I swat them into the tank. Then wash my hands, & make me some food.

So far, I've come across 2 types of really horrible smelling fish foods in the past and I try to feed the tetras a HUGE capful so I can be done with it.

Aquaculture Betta Pellets (I didn't buy this)
Tetra vitamin coated freeze dried flies. (I did buy this.)

They both smell equally awful.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #49 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
TTB,

Thank for the info about the odor of NLS, I'm not going to buy any NOW.

I usually pour the pellets in the palm of my hand then I swat them into the tank. Then wash my hands, & make me some food.

So far, I've come across 2 types of really horrible smelling fish foods in the past and I try to feed the tetras a HUGE capful so I can be done with it.

Aquaculture Betta Pellets (I didn't buy this)
Tetra vitamin coated freeze dried flies. (I did buy this.)

They both smell equally awful.
LOL I think it's because the NLS is just so rich that it smells AWFUL. lol. My second choice in betta food, omega one, doesn't have a bad smell. I really only smell it if i TRY to smell it, where as NLS smacks you in the face with... That smell. As soon as you open it up. xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #50 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
LOL I think it's because the NLS is just so rich that it smells AWFUL. lol. My second choice in betta food, omega one, doesn't have a bad smell. I really only smell it if i TRY to smell it, where as NLS smacks you in the face with... That smell. As soon as you open it up. xD

But is it enticing to the fish..we may not like it, but they do, If the ingredients are quality..it's aroma would definately be stronger...I would beleive Does it smell like fish?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote