Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #1 
GFarra

Starting over...how to properly clean tank/equipment?

Hi Everyone

My second betta, Dario, died over the weekend. I am convinced he was sick when we purchased him. He had ich and ate only once while in our possession. We had him for 2 weeks and most of that time was spent trying to nurse him back to health.

I had a thermometer, small heater, and some decorations in his tank which was a 2.5 gallon minibow tank (with filter).

I want to get another fish, but want to make sure I am starting off with a clean tank. Here is what I have done so far:

- Tossed out the gravel
- Rinsed all decorations under hot tap water
- Rinsed the heater & thermometer in hot tap water
- Flushed the tank with hot tap water

Everything has air dried for 2 days. I also tossed the filter cartridge.

I know I shouldnt use any household cleaners, but is there are fish safe cleansers I can use to unsure that things are sterile?

TIA

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 
ihatefirewalls

I know some people say to avoid bleach, but 1:20 dilution is fine to clean non-porous materials (glass tank, marbles, plastic components).

Household bleach is the same thing as the chlorine they add to tap water (hypochlorite), just more concentrated. As long as you rinse thoroughly and let it set for a day or two (you can add extra dechlorinator too if you want), the chlorine should be gone.

You can also boil or bake most gravel to disinfect instead of tossing it out. Just be careful of coated/painted types.

Last edited by ihatefirewalls; 06-25-2012 at 08:40 AM.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

I use vinegar and hot water to disinfect my fish stuff.
A lot of people do use bleach, but many strongly advise against it. If you did decide to use it, they say to make sure you let it air dry after a thorough rinse.

I'm sorry your lost your Betta. I too lost two over the weekend due to believed pre-purchase illness. You gave him the best environment he had ever known and he went up to the big pond In the sky comfortably. :')
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Be careful boiling or baking rocks....some can explode at high temps....

Most of the bad pathogens/parasites will die once dehydrated and/or without a host to complete their life cycle....

It sounds like you are ready to setup your tank and get a new Betta.....

Sorry for your loss and good to hear you are not giving up....look forward to seeing pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 
Kenny G

I agree with teenythebetta use vinger and add aq salt to clean and sterilize the tank. Vinger is all natural and non toxic to fish. I would do this twice to make sure its clean. Then set up the tank let it run for 12-24 hours before adding the new fish.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I agree with Old Fish Lady on this and most other things. You're ready to go, GFarra.

I was reading a well-documented article recently that suggests vinegar is not as effective against major bacteria/pathogens as a good bleach rinse. (I have to start bookmarking these things <drat>)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote