Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 
ehh

received my first betta

got a few questions if you dont mind. but first let me tell you how i acquired him.

i work at a local feed store. we also sell fish there. from time to time people donate fish to us. recently someone donated this betta. it is double the size of any bettas we carry and has very long fins. so im guessing its on the older side. they told us "either you take it or we're going to flush it". so i took it. but i dont have a tank for it. i have it in the glass vase. i would say its a about 3/4 gallons.
now, he doesnt move around much. he pretty much just lays at the bottom of the tank and comes up every now and then for air. i dont know what the previous owner was feeding him but i bought some hikari pellets and ive gotten him to eat 2 pellets over the last 3 days. and his water is pretty cloudy. i just changed about half of it but its still pretty cloudy.
in about a week ill be buying him a ten gallon w/ filter and heater.

any tips on what i can do till then?

picture of charles.

Last edited by ehh; 06-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
ehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #2 
bahamut285

Try to keep him in the warmest place of your house. In a 0.75 gallon vase he will need frequent 100% water changes to clear out the ammonia. It sounds like his previous owners didn't take care of him very well, so he's probably just very distressed.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #3 
Shadyr

Good on you for saving him! Warm clean water (make sure to use a water conditioner like Prime or Stresscoat first!) changed every day or so should tide him over till you get the bigger tank. Good luck. He's pretty and will probably be even more vibrant when he has a good permanent tank!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
ehh

right now im using this http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Marine-.../dp/B0002DIYX0.
the other conditioners we sell at work say "5 ml for every ten gallons" i didnt want to buy those because what i have him in is no where near tean gallons haha.
so i should do FULL water chages every day? hes in the kitchen right now. its the warmest room in the house but hes water is still pretty cold.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 
Shadyr

Until you get the bigger tank, I would do at least 50% daily, yeah. You said he's a big fella, so the waste in the water could build up fast. Water changes in the 10G will be less frequent and a much smaller percent!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 
NapoleonUWS

Great of you to rescue him... sounds like he has found a great new home.
NapoleonUWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #7 
ehh

i did 50% today. i just wish his water wasnt so cloudy. he is having trouble getting the pellets. he goes for them and misses. like i said not sure what the person before was feeding him but he cant get the pellets.

people bring in donations all the time, i wish i could bring them all home instead of selling them to people who think they can put an angel with 15 cichlids in a 50 gallon tank :-/

Last edited by ehh; 06-25-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #8 
ZackyBear

You can stick a pellet on a tooth pick and help feed him that way. :o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

I can't tell you anything that hasn't already been said, but I hope he gets better! It sounds like he's finally gotten to be with someone who really cares about him. Poor little guy, and I hope he gets better for you!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #10 
bahamut285

Do 100% water change every other day, remembering to add water conditioner. Put some plastic wrap (with holes poked in) to keep the tank a bit temperate.

Apologies for the late reply, I hope he is well
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote