Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #1 
MollyJean

Need some advice on one gallon setups

Now before we get started, I know that one gallon isn't enough water to support a cycle, builds ammonia far too fast and and would need a lot of work to be viable. Under normal circumstances, I would never advise anyone to place a betta in a container under 2 gallons!

But I know there are people who have figured out how to do it right! I have a single female in my sorority who is not very good with groups. She stresses easy and hides all the time, to the point that finding her at feeding time has become a frightening experience. I always worry she's dead. Her favorite hiding place is a hole in a piece of driftwood, and the first time I saw her in it I thought she was dead. That was a huge stress! Now I have decided that she would do better in her own small tank with lots and lots of hiding places. This is simple, I have a couple of 2 and 3 gallon tanks sitting around. Sh can be moved at any time.

But this made me consider the possibility of a one gallon tank. I have a very beautiful bowl with spirals on the top and bottom and I have always wished I could plant it and add a betta. The girly fish in question is a very small thing, smallest one I have, tail and all she is less then an inch. She prefers the heavily planted areas of the 29 gallon she's in. I thought a heavily planted one gallon might work, and I would love the challenge it would bring!

Now I just need to get some information, and I'm curious if anyone here has ever had a planted a functional, humane, one gallon tank or something similar. Please, any advice would be great.

For now, Rosie, the girl who's having the problems, is going into a 3 gallon with a few extra plants so she has lots of hiding places.

Last edited by MollyJean; 06-24-2012 at 05:16 PM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 
DazedBetta

I wish I could help more but never had a 1g planted do to water changes that are needed with them I couldn't keep a plant alive. Plus with the 1g I ran into lighting problems and then I gave up on the product and moved up into a 2.5g lightly planted. I have heard of people using bamboo in smaller bowl but I don't know how that will work out plus ur girl would most likely like something that she can swim and hide in. I wish you the best of luck and I hope u get a good setup that works.
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 1 gallon would be fine but if you put too much stuff in it then there won't be much swimming room.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-A 1gal unfiltered tank is fine for long term keeping provided that water quality is maintained and with the added live plants will make it even better.....

Set it up, plant it and add the little girl....

Depending on the number and species of live plants.....water changes of 50% weekly should maintain water quality.

If you are using rooted plants you don't want or need to make any 100% water changes....As long as you have enough of the right species and plants are thriving they will take care of the water for a single Betta and some shrimp and/or snails....

If you go NPT-you can even reduce those water changes to much less once its mature.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

I have a male HMPK in a 1 gallon with a heater. I have quite a few plants but they are all fake and they do take up alot of space but he has had a swimming issue for the past month so he uses the plants to float up aganist or under them to keep from flopping over sideways. Just keep up on the water changes and you should be fine. I dont have any hiding spots just lots of silk leaves for him.

I'm no love plant expert but I think some moss with a sand bottom and some small plants would look nice
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 
bettaluvr

I have my boy skittles in a 2 gallon unfiltered bowl , with 1 aponogeton, I change half the water with a gravel vacuum one week and the next week I fully change it. I have an LED light on about 10 hours a day right now and both are doing great. I just ordered some more gravel for the tank.
Attached Images

bettaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #7 
laoshun

if u want you could do floater plants just for her, helps with ammonia build ups (from happening too fast) and it makes more room for her to swim.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #8 
MollyJean

The bowl I want to use for her is more broad then tall, it's a Lilly bowl (I have several now, they're very interesting) it's a low, wide bowl used for floating lilys and floating candles, or serving, and has a very large footprint but isn't super tall. The one I want to put her in would do great with some short leafy plants based in sand, then something covering part of the top, to make sort of a pond environment. But that's just my idea..

I can't upload pics on this thing, but I can link to something CLOSE to what I have. The difference is the decorations on the bowl

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-IN-CLEAR-...#ht_500wt_1287
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #9 
Aus

.. how will you stop her jumping?

I'm actually after a 'natural' looking ceramic bowl of those dimensions for a mini-bog garden. Planted bowls are really nice.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #10 
MollyJean

I make tops with a sewing hoop with mesh stretched over it. Nothing fancy, but I've used the same thing on just about every temp tank I have.

I'd love a pond like bowl in the living room. Something really big, like 20 gallons, with a mess of females in it and tons of plants, water lilys and moss. But no more big tanks for a while.