Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #1 
zinfandoll

Bloated Belly Betta

My fish has not eaten in 7 days or pooed in a very long time. He has a bloated belly, epsom salt baths (5 treatments) haven't helped, could not find frozen daphnia to feed him, found dry but he won't eat it; tried the pea, wouldn't eat it (but read today that doesn't work for bettas anyway)

Should I continue giving him epsom salt baths? (i used 2 tsp/gallon) Could he possibly have a bacteria infection? I tried to locate the antibiotic Kanaplex but no stores here have it. His scales near his stomach are only slightly sticking out when he's curved only near his belly so not sure if it's Dropsy. If he's just constipated, can I use the epsom salt in his normal water changes instead of doing it twice a day in a hospital cup? I hate moving him in his condition if I don't need to. Also should I try an antibiotic? Add stress coat? Bettafix?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Previous to illness - Twice a day, 3-4 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week or every other week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? ? Conditioner and was adding aquarium salt until I read not to last week

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
Hardness: Carbonate 180 General 120
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His stomach is bloated.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No poo; struggles to swim upwards; sits all day looking sad
When did you start noticing the symptoms? past 2 months he wasn't eating much at all, went for almost a month with just a piece of food a week, did not see any poo in tank but he swam normally and was building bubble nests. Finally last week he ate 2 pieces a day for three days, I was gone for two days and came back and he was in his current state.
Have you started treating your fish? water change, w/ no aquarium salt; next two days performed two epsom salt baths a day, one the next but had to be gone the weekend came home he's still bloated.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 yr 10 mo
zinfandoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 
lvandert

I would say keep up with the treatments. Are you changing the water every day? are you feeding him at all through this or are you fasting him?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

There are a couple of things that jump out at me although with your fish has obviously been living with this a while. In a small tank like that, your fish should have daily water changes. Is he always in the 1G or is this a new thing? Ammonia build up in a small tank which can make him sick. I think I'd cut back the food as well; try 2-3 pellets per day and fast one day per week.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #4 
zinfandoll

I started doing 100% every day starting last Wed except this weekend I was gone. I have been fasting him since I have seen no poo. I put a pellet in this morning to see if he'd want to eat but he did not. I will do 100% again today but wasn't sure if I should just add the epsom salt to his tank water or keep doing it as treatments. Should I try any meds or additives in his tank?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #5 
lvandert

outside of warm water, epsom salt, and daphnia I don't know what to do for bloated bellies
Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #6 
zinfandoll

Canuck Fins, he has always been in a 1 gallon tank...he and the tank were a gift.

Is it safe to move the tank to a different part of the house or will it upset him?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #7 
lvandert

if you can move him to a warmer part of the house I would. I also recommend keeping up the 50-100 percent water changes after he gets sick. Your probably dealing with a bit of ammonia burn along with a bloat or internal parasite problem.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #8 
zinfandoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
if you can move him to a warmer part of the house I would. I also recommend keeping up the 50-100 percent water changes after he gets sick. Your probably dealing with a bit of ammonia burn along with a bloat or internal parasite problem.

Do the parasites live in the water in addition to going inside him? The reason I ask is I noticed that the past several weeks these tiny little bugs were appearing in the water. They didn't match anything I've seen pictured as bugs that grow in the tank. Do you think I should give him any meds or bettafix?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #9 
lvandert

those are probably just tank worms. It's from excess food being in the tank. I think their name is planaria? Don't quote me on that one. Those are harmless to bettas although if those are in the tank you are over feeding. Internal parasites should go away after a week or so of epsom salt treatments. You can treat him for up to 10 days with the salts. If after 10 days is up than that wasn't the problem
Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #10 
zinfandoll

Two times a day for 20 min?