Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #11 
lvandert

Oh no, just put it in the water when it gets changed. Its not like a bath treatment if you keep it at 1tsp or 2tsp per gallon.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #12 
zinfandoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Oh no, just put it in the water when it gets changed. Its not like a bath treatment if you keep it at 1tsp or 2tsp per gallon.

I've been afraid to put him in a tank with this much epsom salt because I read somewhere else to only use 1/8 tsp a gallon if you use it in his regular water. I'm so scared I'm going to kill him.

I tried to feed him Daphnia yesterday after I finally located a store that had it but he didn't eat any.

I bought Maracyn 2 yesterday and am wondering if I should try using that. Will the antibiotic kill him if he doesn't have a bacterial infection?
zinfandoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #13 
lvandert

I've suggested 1tsp per gallon and then you can move up to 2 tsp per gallon if you need too. If you want ask OFL about it.

I would keep trying the daphnia. You got to get it in a clump to get him to go after it. Or at least I had to do that for my Patrick.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #14 
MoonShadow

The loss of appetite, the swelling, the prior tank conditions that indicate over feeding and not enough water changes all lead me to believe that he is suffering from an internal bacterial infection. Has he lost color? Is he lethargic? I would strongly recommend doing a round of treatment with a broad spectrum antibiotic like tetracycline or a mix of maracyn 1 & 2
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #15 
zinfandoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
The loss of appetite, the swelling, the prior tank conditions that indicate over feeding and not enough water changes all lead me to believe that he is suffering from an internal bacterial infection. Has he lost color? Is he lethargic? I would strongly recommend doing a round of treatment with a broad spectrum antibiotic like tetracycline or a mix of maracyn 1 & 2
Thank you, yes he has lost some color and is very lethargic and looks weak.

Is it okay just to do the maracyn 2?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #16 
zinfandoll

I'm ready to use the Maracyn Two but need to know if I need to change the water daily?? The box says I don't need to but he's only in a 1 gallon tank and I have it half full so he doesn't have to swim as high to get to the top.

Also, do I stir the water after I put them in?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #17 
Blue Fish

I don't know about the water changes, but you don't need to stir the tank. I hope that you can get some more information about the maracyn. You might try PM'ing Sakura8, she's a moderator that OFL rec'd to me about OTC antibiotic treatments. I'd bet that she could help you. :)

I hope that your boy is feeling better soon, poor little guy. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote