Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #1 
chicagojo

"disinfecting" tank items after fish death

My son's betta Rock N Roll II died on Saturday afternoon. He wanted to get a new fish immediately so we brought home little Rock N Roll III on Sunday. RNR II's tank was a cheap Kritter Keeper that wasn't in very good condition anymore, so I got RNR III a new one and I picked up a couple of new silk plants for him for the time being but I am hoping to be able to recycle the heater, thermometer, additional silk plants and mug/hiding place that RNR II had in his tank. I rinsed these items in hot water for a few minutes, then soaked them in a 50% water/50% white vinegar solution for about 30 minutes, then thoroughly rinsed in hot, then cold water. I put the heater and thermometer into the tank already because I wanted to make sure the temp was right for RNR II and everything else is now drying in the sun. Is this sufficient to disinfect these items from whatever illness might have killed RNR II? I am especially worried about the mug because that is where RNR II went to die and he was laying inside of there for several hours, dead, because I was waiting for my son to come home so I could tell him the fish was dead and let him see him one last time. Is there anything else I should do before adding it to RNR III's tank? He has discovered a few alternative hiding places (behind the heater, amongst the leaves of one of his plants) so he's not without a hiding place so I have some time to do additional cleaning steps if anyone thinks necessary.
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #2 
xShainax

I use distilled vinegar and hot water
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 
LizzyP

You could run the mug in the dishwasher, but just don't put any soap in there. The hot water/steam will usually kill any germs/bacteria.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote