Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Red face Question/Poll for the forum: how does your fish sleep/rest?

Question/Poll for the forum,
How do your fish sleep/rest?
Do they sleep on the bottom of the tank, or closer to the top?
Or even right at the water line resting in plants?
Does anyone have fish who seem, well, grumpy in the mornings?

One of mine won't eat first thing, and he stays in the bottom of his tank, hiding out. Couple hours later he seems to be more awake, swimming around, and is ready for food. Similiar experiences? :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #2 
chicagojo

Ha - I had the opposite - I definitely had one betta who was a "morning fish" - he would be very happy and energetic all morning, ready to eat first thing, and then kind of slowed down over the course of the day and eventually flopped onto his side to rest at the surface (he had chronic SBD which accounts for this unique style of resting...)

Of our current bettas, one likes to rest among the flowers of a silk plant and the other I have to say I have never actually caught resting so he must do it when I'm asleep!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #3 
JagWired

My little buddy likes to rest in his taller of two plants, and sits half an inch or so below the surface. He's a napper, from what I've seen. Up most of the night, just as well as during the day.
JagWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 
aqua001

Zoro like to stay right at the front of the tank at the bottom. that way, if there is noise, he can investigate immediately LOL. Blue Fish, my betta is just like your betta!
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 
lelei

I have a very active Morning fish..mostly becuz when I get up in the morn to get ready for work..hes very aware of our movements..and..wakes right up ready for breakfast..lol..then I dont see him again till 6 @night..so unsure when he sleeps..when I have caught him tho I find him in his Amazon Sword..and tall Red Silk plant..or his new hiding cave..the first time I saw him resting on the leavrs of the plant..I swear it had to be the cutest thing I eva saw..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #6 
Purple

My female sleeps at the very, very top. Her dorsal fin sticks out of the water a bit. (You'd be surprised if you knew how many times I woke up in the middle of the night and kind of saw her floating, screamed, and woke her up. Needless to say, she is NOT happy with me after these episodes.) She's hyper no matter what time of day it is. She never stops swimming unless she's asleep.

My male betta sleeps closer to the bottom, with his bottom fins just a few millimeters off of the rocks on the bottom. He doesn't like to be woken up and kind of glares at me when I wake him up in the morning getting dressed. He's just a cranky old man. :P
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

Buddha sleeps at the top of the tank now, but he used to sleep underneath his turtle statue. Sometimes I find him wedged in the grass, hiding I guess.

And he goes to sleep as soon as the light goes off in the room (around 6/7) and sleeps until early morning. So when I get up, he's been up for awhile already.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #8 
deso

Mine is extremely grumpy in the early morning, which is odd, because he turns in early like clockwork at 11pm and sleeps through the entire night. He wakes up before me though, right when the sun rises. His favourite spots are on the filter intake or in his cave.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #9 
Shadyr

Mine love the live plants I've put in their tanks for the most part. The ones who have ****worts in their tank can be caught hanging out in them.

One prefers the leaf hammock in his tank.

Given that it took approximately 30 seconds from introduction to occupancy, I think Chicory is liking the betta log I got him.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #10 
BeckyFish97

On top of the thermometer or in his plant...hehe he's an allday fish, he wakes me up everyday at 6:00 by throwing himself into the lid of his tank which after due consideration now has a paperweight on it to stop him knocking it off as he has started doing, I feed him if I'm in a good mood, go back to bed, go see him in the afternoon, play with him, feed him on a nighttime when he is STILL throwing himself at the lid for food...and then I go to bed and he takes about an hour to settle down!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day/night cycle, fish rest, fish sleep