Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 
NiniDidi

New Bettas seem sick

These are my first bettas so ignore the ignorance. I got two male bettas yesterday along with everything that was recommend to me by the petsmart guy. I got a huge tank and it has a divider for them so they don't attack each other and I set up the tank yesterday with the filter and purifier or whatever it's called and waited 24 hours before putting my fishes in there following each and every instruction. Yesterday, the white betta was fine and ate well while the blue betta would not eat at all but was very active. Today, I noticed the white betta was not active at all and for a second I thought it died until it started to slowly move again but wouldn't eat either. Once I put both of the bettas in the tank, they both are not eating still and keep staying on surface while occasionally moving in the middle of the tank. The white one would occasionally go hide as well. Is that normal? They were quite active at the pet store, that's why I picked them.
NiniDidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

How big is your huge tank?

Is your tank heated? If your fish are cold, they will act more sluggish. You will want the tank at 76 to 82*. Without a heater, assume the water will be a couple of degrees colder than the room.

Not eating isn't a big deal. Generally bettas can go without eating for up to a week and they are still settling in. They'll do best with a good quality pellet, think 2-3 pellets twice a day and fast one day a week. Don't bother with flakes; think of them like potato chips for fish. They are harder to fish out if they aren't eaten. Uneaten food will make your tank dirty.

:)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
Kenny G

I have a couple of questions.
1. How big is your tank?
2. Do you have a heater in your tank?

Assuming you don't have a heater Betta's are tropical fish and should be in water between 78-82 degrees. This will help keep up their appetites.

Bettas can go days without food and are very picky eaters, so not eating isn't unusual at all. They maybe used to the food they were being fed in the store.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #4 
NiniDidi

The tank is about 2.5 gallons and there is a filter and lighter thing (which I am assuming is the heater?) and the temp says it's 82 degrees....

2-3 pellets? Maybe I am giving them too much and expecting them to eat it all. I would be careful with that. I give them pellets and I also have freeze dried blood worms.

I have noticed they are slightly moving around a little more (not that much but better than before) but they both have a certain spot them on top where they keep going back to and staying there for a long time until I tap on the tank and they move around and come back there. Is that normal??

Also some how my white betta got to the blue betta side. They weren't aggressive at all but I separated them again just in case.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

2.5 Gallons isn't really Big. It's not enough for a Divided Tank. At Least 5 Gallons for Dividing. I suggest to buy a Kritter Keeper for One of the Betta's to live in. Is the Divider see-through? They might be stressed because of seeing each other too much.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #6 
NiniDidi

It is....that's funny you said that cause one of them got over the other side somehow and I had to separate them again.

the Petsmart guy said 2.5 gallons should be enough. I am going to buy a new tank in a couple of days for one of them.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, Employees at Petsmart or Petco are most of the time Clueless. -_- One got over it again? Maybe they Jumped. Hahahaha. At least they didn't get hurt.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #8 
NiniDidi

But them going to one spot all the time, is that normal?

Also should I leave the light and filter on all the time?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #9 
deso

Yes, leave the filter on all the time, but don't keep the lights on 24/7. You may need to baffle the filter with a piece of aquarium sponge or a water bottle if you notice that your fish are having too much trouble swimming. Turn the lights out when you go to sleep (or at a decent hour), because bettas need a sleep schedule like the rest of us.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #10 
NiniDidi

Ok I just went down to get some water (the tank is in the kitchen) and they are one side side again (how do they get to through the divider?) but they seem to keep out of each other's way. I also noticed the blue one has some white spots....he didn't have them earlier. I am worried now.