Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #11 
LaLaLeyla

I feed my bettas two pellets a day. Only because anymore pellets and they bloat easily. Then once a week I offer them a freeze dried blood worm. C:

I'm feeding my bettas aqueon betta pellets.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #12 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Is it alright if nothing else is working? She had been constipated for a week and I was afraid I was going to starve her to death.
If that's the only thing that works, then it's the only thing that works. I still think you should work on treating the cause of the constipation rather than treating it after the fact.

A week without food won't starve a betta. Two weeks without food is pushing it, but they'll still be fine. Going beyond 3 weeks could see them starve.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #13 
zombiegirl

I feed mine a variety of foods. The usually get 2-3 Omega One pellets in the morning and either frozen brine shrimp in the evening or another pellet or two of Hikari Gold. They also get Daphnia on occasion and blood worms as a treat.
zombiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #14 
registereduser

Frankly I don't care what they eat as long as they EAT!

The plakat wouldn't touch betta pellets, he liked only the sinking wafers I got for the cory. He ate them off the bottom. I spent a lot buying some sinking pellets for carnivores but the plakat didn't touch them

Then I added neons to the tank and started feeding them Hikari Micro Pellets and the plakat LOVES them and eats them off the surface. He ignores all sinking pellets now.

The delta tail is eating Tetra Betta Pellets because I got them for free. Apparently they are not the best but I will stick to that as long as he likes them.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #15 
Atena

I heard that if they are not eating.you can soak the pellets in fresh garlic juice to stimulate appetite.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #16 
Shadyr

So far mine all like pellets. I have Omega One, Hikari, and Aqueon pellets. They also get an occasional FD Bloodworm as a treat. And I have to make time to go harvest some of the mosquito wigglers I found in one of our drain traps before I kill the rest and see what they think of those.

I have an avocado tree in the room with them, and I swear it generates gnats. Woe betide the occasional gnat who falls into a betta tank.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #17 
Purple

I've never had anything that my fish won't eat. Sally won't eat anything off of the bottom of the tank, though. She's such a lady!
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #18 
Catie79

For those feeding Hikari Bio Gold, what size pellets are you using? I've got the 'Perfectly Sized' pellets, nice and tiny for a little mouth. My confusion comes from the directions suggesting 5-10 pellets three times a day when everyone posts that they feed 2-3 pellets twice a day. I'd compromised at 5 pellets twice a day (he eats them in about fifteen seconds). Am I massively over feeding?
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #19 
Catfish Billy

Personally, I think variety is the key to feeding fish because some foods have e.g vitamins that others don't!
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

I feed New Life Spectrum 1mm community formula pellets almost every day. Each fish gets fed around 4-5 of these.

On top of this, I also feed frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and live blackworms. In summer they also get live mosquito larvae from our dog paddle pond.

My bettas hated frozen mysis shrimp when I tried to feed it to them and also frozen daphnia. None of my fish species were ever really a fan of daphnia so I stopped using it.

I agree that variety is key to a healthy betta. Plus live and frozen foods often are more stimulating than the stock-standard pellets. My bettas go nuts when they see me and my tweezers approaching.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
food