Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #11 
aqua001

What should i do if my wisteria has a brown stem and the leaves are wilting pretty badly? It is only happening with one of them.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #12 
staffylover

Looks really nice, I love real plants in a tank and that is all I have in my 4 tanks. I try all sorts of plants from my local shop and travel to different shops to try different plants and most have been successful. I do have some low plants which come in pots which can be submerged in the gravel and do really well. In a couple of my tanks I also have moss growing on a couple of small rocks, you can do this yourself by tieing it to the rocks with fishing wire
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #13 
aqua001

Cool! staffy, could u post a pic of the moss growing on rocks? I would really like to try it but I'm not sure what it would look like. Thanks! Um, when I did a water change today, I accidentally uprooted the water wisteria with the extremely brown stem. When i tried to replant it, it ws very limp in my hands and completely shriveled up, causing the last 2 green leaves to fall off. Is this just a a sign that the plant is dead? Also, I noticed that the root part of the water wisteria is splitting and slightly brown (not as brown as the one that died).Here is a pic and maybe some one could tell me why this is happening? the brown stem is on the floating plant, it is in front of the heater.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #14 
RainbowSocks

Sometimes wisteria has a hard time adjusting to a tank, just 'cause. I planted my wisteria right away when I got it, accidentally uprooted it later, and it had brown steps as well. It's currently floating, and I just keep trimming off the rotting bits of stem. The plant is still alive and growing, and is starting to put down roots. Little bits and pieces of green leaves keep falling off, which I'm letting float.

Overall the plants are still healthy so, long story short: cut off the obviously dead stuff and let the green stuff float until it has some serious roots.

Edit: I've read that "disintegrating" wisterias can be common (and might be part of their life cycle? Did I read that somewhere?), and as long as pieces are green, the plant is still fine. That's my relatively uneducated opinion. :P

Last edited by RainbowSocks; 07-04-2012 at 12:58 PM.
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #15 
aqua001

Thanks! Do the leaves have to be a certain size to put down roots or can it be any old leaf?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #16 
RainbowSocks

As far as I can tell, it depends on the leaf. It seems if there's at least two connected, it'll make roots. When I vacuumed, there were some single leaves that had died, and some that were still green, or had only recently fallen off. So I'm not sure about single leaves. I'd only remove them if they're dead. My four wisteria plants have turned into... *counts* ...at least seven rooting plants.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #17 
Catfish Billy

I don't know why, but my wisteria doesn't die! (not that I want it to)

I accidently partly dried it out and it only lost a few leaves! It also rooted in a matter of days....
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #18 
Aus

I was talking elsewhere to a fishkeeper recently whose rooted wisteria is happily growing out of the top of the water and flowering, too..

And yup, I just trim off the dead bits and leave the rest to float. One of my recently-bought stems that I put in the new 10g NPT has roots almost to the bottom of the tank already. I think it's wanting to be in the soil. :B

As to wisteria melt -- it's often confused with water sprite which does have die-off as part of its life cycle. Different plant, though.

I tend to lose wisteria in my unfiltered tanks.. it goes slimy and yuck quite quickly in those. I think it really needs a bit of water movement to stay healthy.

I know it also like ferts with iron, but I've never used any. Some of my older plants are a bit pale at the tops for this reason I think, but that tank's too small for me to feel comfy dosing ferts..

All of my baby wisteria plants have come from single leaves left floating to develop roots. Some of the leaves die, but most don't.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #19 
RainbowSocks

Thanks for the correction, Aus!

Flowers? Really? Oooo, I must learn to do that... lol I think my longest stem right now is about 6 inches... it's half-way there!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #20 
NapoleonUWS

My nerite snails eat all the dead leaves off the bottom of my Water Wisteria...
I never need to remove any of the dead growth... the snails get to it fast!
NapoleonUWS is offline   Reply With Quote