Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #21 
aqua001

Thanks! I recently got a new light for the tank because the old one was very dim. Using the new light, I realized that my amazon sword's leaves are a very pale green. I heard this was due to the lack/improper lighting. Now that it has a new light (very bright) do you think it will get better?
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #22 
Aus

Yep! :)

I just put some new swords in which were a tad pale. I think they came from a deeper tank than mine, and they're quite small.. anyhow, after they did the whole 'ohno! new tank! let's shrivel .. on the count of three!' thing they've all come up with some nice darker growth, the new leaves seem to be responding to the light quite well - though my tank, being designed quite stupidly, doesn't light the back of the tank as well as the front.. must be okay however, if the swords are happy.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #23 
aqua001

Haha:)

Now, though, the leaves seem to be turning a almost clear brown(which obviously means they are dead) but it is happening on more and more of the leaves. I think it is maybe the lack of nutrition but Zoro poops a lot so I'm not sure. Here is a pic: it is right in front of the log and appears on various other swords as well.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #24 
Aus

Mine did the same thing. Pick the dead leaves off (they create ammonia..) and keep an eye on the plants. They'll probably put out a few new leaves sooner or later. Some plants take time to get used to new water chemistry. Swords and crypts are famous for suffering 'melt' in a new tank but do bounce back after a while.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #25 
aqua001

I found out that some of my swords' leaves grow back crinkled. Is this normal?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #26 
RainbowSocks

It could be a deficiency in a specific mineral... calcium or boron. I personally wouldn't worry about it, but you could add a bit of cuddlebone (usually used for birds) to your tank...
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #27 
aqua001

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #28 
Ginzuishou

I purchased an Amazon Sword from Petsmart. At first, some of the leaves became clear or the tips become black. I'm pruning as needed, but otherwise it seems fine. I squirt a little bit of liquid fertilizer in the tank once in awhile. The Sword is planted in just plain gravel.

I love the "snail free" notice on the plants. After I bought the Amazon Sword, magically five snails appeared, and more later, and more...

hmmmmmmmmmmm..........
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #29 
RainbowSocks

I know with my java fern, clear tips are new growth (like a betta's fins). I wonder if it's the same way with swords? o.O
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #30 
aqua001

Rainbowsocks, I don't think so. The clearish thing happens in random spots on the leaf and the are around it is a yellowish color.