Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #11 
MollyJean

A lot of the time you can take the metal out and it will still stand. But if you can't, get aquarium sealant and cover up the end and any openings you see. If you do this, just check each plant in about 2 weeks, any uncovered metal will be easy to spot.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #12 
djembekah

also if you have a Michael's or a JoAnn's nearby, they should have thousands of silk flowers and greenery. I work at one, and have toyed with the idea of getting silk plants before. but of course make sure no metal.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #13 
labloverl

Yep, I had to cut the plastic off, and found a tiny metal wire. I was disappointed, but maybe I can take it out.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #14 
TuckerLove

"Also, make sure to use the pantyhose test on them! :) "
What exactly is this pantyhose test? I cant afford real plants right now and Id probably kill them with how horrible my brown thumb is.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #15 
Shirleythebetta

take a piece of panyhose and run it over the plant. The theory is if it will snag panyhose it will snag a betta's fin.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #16 
Shirleythebetta

Hey I found that pic of the butterfly tank. I had a paradise fish in there at the time. It's very kiddish and whimsical but I had a ball with it. The other is a picture of my favorite fish who passed away a few months ago in his favorite spot. In the plant I made him. No other fish is allowed to have that plant...
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #17 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
So - as long as there is no metal or no weird obvious coating on the silk flowers, they should be ok?

i read somewhere that you should soak them in a bowl of water just to make sure nothing "weird" happens. I have some very real looking poppy silk plants I want to use in a tank but so far I have only taped them to the outside of the tank because my mom keeps being paranoid and telling me she's afraid of me using anything that isn't sold specifically for tanks. (But I have seen so many silk flower betta tanks on Youtube. .. so they can't all be harmful. )
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #18 
Shirleythebetta

Just soak them over night to make sure there is no extra dye that may bleed off into the water. DO NOT use anything with glitter and/or metal. Some just seal the parts with the metal with aquarium sealant but I don't risk that. Show your mom my pics I posted. They are made of practically the same stuff as aquarium plants. Just cheaper and more fun to make. It's original rather than a decoration everyone else has.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #19 
teeneythebetta

That's a really nice looking tank, ShirleyTheBetta! And, I'm sorry about your little guy :( Hes so cute!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #20 
Shirleythebetta

Yep he was my favorite. Never have another like him.