Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #1 
CareOhLine

Exclamation URGENT! My Betta has severe fin rot!

I have had my Betta for 6 months. He is happily in a 2.5 gallon that is filtered, heated, has a hood and a light. The constant temp is 80 degrees Fahrenheit. It has 2 plants and a small ornament. Recently he has been suffering fin rot. My mom got "AmQuel Plus" by Kordon and " Proper pH 7.0" by API. She didn't buy a test kit like I asked, and she didn't buy AQ either. The Betta used to eat Aqueon Tropical Flakes, but I changed to Hikari Gold pellets after I found out that you shouldn't feed Bettas tropical fish food. Can the stuff my mom bought, AmQuel and the pH regulators help my Betta with fin rot? PLEASE help I am really worried! Here is a picture. One is when I first got him(12-24-11), the second is as of now.
Attached Images

CareOhLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #2 
Blake My First

How often do you change his water? And by how much (%) each time?

Usually fin rot is from bad water condition, but feeding non-betta food can cause a problem too. You should get the betta pellets and try feeding him that from now on.
Blake My First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #3 
CareOhLine

I change his water about 50-75% every week. But if it is fin rot, I am going to do 25% water changes twice a week.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 
CareOhLine

Also I am currently feeding him Hikari Gold Betta pellets, I switched from the tropical food. Do you think that AmQuel and pH regulators will help?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #5 
Blake My First

The pH regulator can help with ammonia build up if the pH is stable near neutral. Not sure about amquel. Water change 25% bi weekly like you said is your best bet. If it doesn't seem to help add aquarium salt to new water. Unidodized salt can work too.
Blake My First is offline   Reply With Quote